Monday, January 18, 2010

Weekly Geeks 2010.2: Awards!


Did you hear? Some book awards were announced today! How nice it is that for Weekly Geeks we are encouraged to talk about this announcement.

The two awards that I follow most closely and have a constant urge to read from their lists are the Newbery Award and the Printz Award.

The winner for the Newbery Award is When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. Cool! I loved this book and reviewed it here. I'm very excited this won and I will look forward to promoting it at the book fair and other such places. It's a great book.

Honor books are:

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick

None of these I've really heard of, so I'll be adding them to my reading list.

The winner for the Printz Award is Going Bovine by Libba Bray. I've heard tons about this one, but just haven't had a chance to read it yet. So looks like I'll be bumping it higher on my list.

Honor books are:

Charles and Emma; The Darwins' Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman

The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancy

Punkzilla by Adam Rapp

Tales of the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance 1973 by John Barnes

None of these I've heard of either! I need to get reading! Sheesh, what have I been doing with myself!

Now is a perfect time to promote the Printz Project, something Jessica from The Bluestocking Society and I started last April. Come join us and read all the Printz books. This award has only been around since 2000 so the list isn't long. Once you read one, come share your review with us. It's an ongoing project, and we are very laid back and easy going over there. Some of my favorite Printz books (winners and honors) that I've read so far are:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing Vol. 1 by M.T. Anderson

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

There's an ongoing project for the Newbery Award too. Head on over and check them out. This award has been around since 1922, so the list is significantly longer... but the books are short, so, might as well read them! Some of my favorite Newbery books that I've read are:

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Rules by Cynthia Lord

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata

Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff

Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath

Holes by Louis Sachar

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

The Giver by Lois Lowry

... and I better stop at that, because the list goes on and on. There's lots of favorites on that list!

What Printz and Newbery books of you read and loved? Do you plan on reading any of these new winners?

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read some of the new winners! I've read (and loved) When You Reach Me and The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate for the Newberys, and Charles and Emma for the Printz, so I have a lot of books on my to read pile!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails