Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain


Book: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Genre: YA Paranormal

Rating: A


First Line: "Grace! You have got to see the new guy."


In August, I went to our Utah Blogger Picnic,met Bree Despain, and learned that her first book would be released in December. Since then, I've been waiting anxiously for the time to arrive so I could, I hoped, add another Utah author to my favorites list.

Now that the time has come and gone, and the book has been read, I can say that yes, my favorites list is growing!

This book is the story of Grace Divine and her two brothers. Well, one brother and another boy who was "just a friend" who spent an awful lot of time at their house as they were growing up. So much, in fact, that he sort of seemed like a brother. His own home life... let's just say it was not so great. When he was about 16 or so, he disappears, and the book opens when he suddenly comes back.

Grace is freaked out at first, but then she quite happily gets used to the idea. Her brother, Jude, however, is extremely bothered that he (Daniel) is back, and Grace needs to know why. Some strange stuff is happening and Daniel seems so different, and suddenly, there's a lot of questions that need answering.

This was a fun new take on the teenage paranormal novel, with a twist I didn't see coming, make that several twists I didn't see coming. There's a lot of religious tie-ins too, which is also a bit of new take that I found interesting. I really liked Daniel's character because he was ever changing and you couldn't quite figure him out.

Bottom line: Loved it!

Other Reviews:

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you enjoyed this one! I'm going to check my library for a copy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails