Thursday, January 28, 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Twisty


Jackie says, “I love books with complicated plots and unexpected endings. What is your favourite book with a fantastic twist at the end?”

So, today’s Booking Through Thursday's question is in two parts.

1. Do YOU like books with complicated plots and unexpected endings?

2. What book with a surprise ending is your favorite? Or your least favorite?


Yes, for sure! I LOVE books with complicated plots and unexpected endings. Some of my favorites are:

-- Life of Pi by Yann Martell: the ending is one of the best ever.

-- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield: loved both plot and ending

-- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card: a completely jaw-dropping ending, I'll never forget the first time reading this one!

-- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck: while the ending isn't really a twist, it sure is memorable

-- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead: the recent Newbery Award winner has quite an unexpected end too.

-- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett: did you expect this ending?

What would be on YOUR list?


10 comments:

  1. I'd have to put the Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner on that list. How fun! Maybe I'll steal this idea for one of my Listless Mondays (with your list linked, of course) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life Of Pi was the screwiest ending ever. I read it over a year ago and I'm STILL trying to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all great suggestions! When asked this question I felt like I was almost put on the spot but I too love books that keep you guessing until the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally don't like unexpected endings but I loved Empire Falls. Richard Russo is a wonderful writer.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved The Thirteenth Tale. That one made me sit up straighter. One that I wasn't blown away by (and it seemed like a lot of people were) was Atonement by Ian McEwan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunger Games. I listened to it on mp3 so was really taken aback by the ending as I didn't even know I was near the end. Maybe it wasn't the twist of a plot but more the cut off of the story before I was ready to let go.
    I'm anxious to try a few that twisted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I agree on The Thirteenth Tale but the ending of Grapes of Wrath disappointed me. My answer is here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realise that When you Reach Me had a twist in the end - I'll have to push it up the TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am way late in responding to this, but I just had to chime in. I cannot agree more on Life of Pi and Ender's Game, both great books!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails