Friday, January 1, 2010

Top Twenty of the Past Decade

These are the books that LOVED from the last ten years... ones I read not necessarily published during the decade.

These books are the ones that I eww and ahhhh over, that I want to hug to myself, that I want to read again for the first time, that I want to tell everyone about. The books that stuck with me, that made me go "wow" when they ended, that I kept thinking about long after they were over.

These are the books that I won't soon forget.

Pope Joan by Donna Wolfolk Cross

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

A Fine Balance by Rohintin Mistry

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

John Adams by David McCullough

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Would any of these books make your list of favorites from the past decade?

7 comments:

  1. A Fine Balance is my favourite book, so I'm pleased to see it on your list. I have loved many of the others on your list too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list, some of yours are on my TBR list for this year.

    Here is mine
    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2009/12/countdown-of-my-favourites.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only would I, I did!
    And there are some there that I hope to read this year, like Molokai, and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

    thanks for the list

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have got some good ones. Hunger Games for sure. Life of Pi and The book Thief, definitely!! I never read Kite Runner but I read A Thousand Splendid Suns and I would put that on my list. I need to look into the other books. Great list

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to think about it, but I actually did read The Lord of the Rings during this decade, so I'm with you on that. Definitely a favorite of the decade, and an all time favorite, too. Bel Canto was excellent as well, but I'm not sure if it would make my decade top 20 list - the competition's pretty stiff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun post! Several of those would be on mine, too, if I made a post of this nature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list of the decade has some of my favorites: The Book Thief, The Forsyte Saga, Wives & Daughters. I also really liked The Hunger Games, A Fine Balance, and Bel Canto. Too many good books!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails