Friday, January 29, 2010

Review: Sing Me To Sleep by Angela Morrison


Book: Sing Me To Sleep by Angela Morrison
Genre: YA Romance
Rating: A
For: Fun and an ARC Review (sent to me by the author)

I've been talking much about this book, but have yet to really review it. I read it last year, and now that its release date is not far off (March 4) I suppose it's time to finally tell you more about it.

This is the story of Beth, a high school girl who gets teased relentlessly because of her looks. She is called The Beast and has only one friend, Scott, who has stood by her side and rescued her many times since 3rd grade. She escapes by writing her thoughts and feeling in song lyrics.

That's because, despite her outward appearance, Beth has a beautiful voice, and she lives for singing. She is in the school choir, but that is small fry compared to the all girl's choir she travels quite a distance to sing with twice a week. One day, the soloist in this choir gets sick and Beth fills in. The other girls are amazed and Beth ends up with the part. Then, before she knows it, the girls have hauled her off and given her a make over worthy of a reality TV show.

Needless to say, this causes things to change especially her relationship with Scott. Then, while on tour to Switzerland, the girls meet the guys from the most famous youth choir in the world, the Amabile Young Men's Choir, and she finds herself completely wrapped up in a passionate, intense new relationship.

It gets complicated from there. Feelings are hurt, secrets are kept, relationships are strained, friendships are tested. How will it all end up? It may surprise you!

This is a very powerful, emotional book looking at what's truly important in life, and asking the age-old question of where does true beauty lie. It tests the meaning of friendship and devotion on all different levels.

Bottom line: I loved it!


And be sure to come back next week for a guest post by author Angela Morrison as she tells us more about the real life choir on which she based this story.


Also, here's the book trailer, complete with a "Beth's Song" teaser at the end.

Other reviews:



4 comments:

  1. It's been awhile since a YA book really appealed to me enough for me to put it on my TBR list, but this one has done it. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been hard to sit on this review for so long! This does sound like a good one. It's so sad that people get treated so poorly because of their looks, especially when they're young. Kids can be so cruel (of course, so can adults).

    Off topic, your sidebar mention of Adam Lambert reminds me that I want to check out his new video. I saw mention of it in Entertainment Weekly. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds really good and heartbreaking. I hate it when kids are teased. Why do kids have to be so cruel? I want to read it find out if there is a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really looks like a great book! I've been seeing so many amazing reviews and I think I may not be able to resist!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails