Thursday, January 14, 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Flapper? Or Not?


Booking Through Thursday's question as suggested by Prairie Progressive asks:

Do you read the inside flaps that describe a book before or while reading it?

It's been awhile since I've participated in this weekly meme, but I thought I could handle this one. Mainly, I do NOT read the flap because there's usually spoilers!! Nothing could be worse than to be reading the book description and have it all spelled out for you. I hate that. However, I will usually read the author info on the back flap. And sometimes I do read the front flap maybe halfway through the book, just to see if what has been described matches at all what I'm reading, to see if I agree with it I guess. But still, I'm wary of spoilers even then.

You'd think flap writers would get it, right? The spoiler fear.

How about you? Are you a flapper, or not?

9 comments:

  1. Our answers are very similar. Mine: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/01/booking-through-thursday-14-january.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be really upset if I read spoilers in a flap. I haven't yet, knock on wood!
    Alayne - The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the polar opposite. I enjoy reading the flaps, almost hoping for spoilers...particularly for those pesky novels with "surprise" twists. (If I'm having difficulty with a novel I sometimes even go online to seek spoilers but that's another topic entirely.) I enjoy the flaps that don't quite represent the contents...they make me wonder if the flap-writer didn't actually read the book at all, which I find amusing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do read the flap. There are SOOO many books that I want to read. When I read the flap or back cover, I get a little more information to know if I want to devote time to this particular book

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to avoid reading them if there's a chance of spoilers, too. And I like to read the author info on the back ones, especially for nonfiction books. Reading them at the end to see if they agree with what I got out of a book is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm a jacket flap person (as would be evidenced by my Jacket flap-a-thon, huh?). I love the teasers, and I love comparing the flap to the book after I get done. Then again, I'm ok with spoilers, so it doesn't bother me much.

    I may be a bit odd in this, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a flapper! I like to know what I'm getting myself into :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spoilers or no spoilers, I read the flaps. My post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am one of those weird ones that can read a spoiler and if I really liked the book before I read the spoiler I would read it anyway. I am also one that can't stand the suspense and will read the last few pages and then go back to fill in all of the details. So yes. I read the flaps.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails