Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Sunday Ramblings


It hasn't been very long since my last rambling post, but since my thoughts are quite scattered today, I thought I might as well ramble again here.

-- JJ finished reading Les Miserables awhile back. I've seen the musical several times and it's one of my favorites, if not my very most favorite, musical. So I was telling her all about it and since then she's been blasting the music all over the house. Last night we found some old VCR tapes of that amazing production they did for the 10th anniversary of Les Mis, so we sat down and watched the whole thing. It's been fun to revisit this music. Are you a huge Les Mis fan too?


-- Book club this week is North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. So I'm trying to fit in a re-read of that wonderful book and today I hope to watch some, hopefully, most of the beautiful BBC movie. It feels like I've been looking forward to this forever, even though I've seen it already. Too funny. Are you a huge North and South BBC movie fan?

-- Which reminds me, we need bookword suggestions! What do we call a book where you can't get the movie character out of your head while reading. I'm finding I now have this "problem" with North and South. Can you blame me? :)

-- Wow! Thanks to all the lurkers that de-lurked the other day! I had so much fun learning about you all! Do I still have some lurkers that haven't de-lurked yet? You still can you know!

-- Hey, guess what! I finished some books this weekend! First Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. I can't wait to review this for you, though it will be hard. I loved this book but am finding it difficult to tell you about it without giving everything away. Then, I finished Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton for an upcoming Classics Circuit post. It was a quick easy... but sad... book.

-- This week I learned that Tif from Tif Talks Books is also on a campaign to support local authors. She is putting together a site that lists authors by geographic area. Please go there and add your local authors to her list! Especially those of you who are participating in the perpetual challenge. That would be great. Have you signed up for Support Your Local Authors yet? You are welcome to do that anytime.

-- I'm hoping for a little Sherlock Holmes tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed it will happen!

-- I started book fair planning this past week. I can't believe it's time for that already again. One more year, and I'll have no more kids in elementary school, which means, my book fair days will be over. What will I do with myself?

Well, I think that's plenty of rambling thoughts for one post. Have a great Sunday and a wonderful week!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, there SHOULD be a word for thinking of a movie character! One of my favourite thing about re-reading The Cider House Rules is that I DON'T see Michael Caine in the role. I like his portrayal in the movie, but I like the one in my head, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally a North and South fan, or more precisely a Richard Armitage fan! Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I LOVE Les Mis and the music. It wasn't until 2 years ago that I finally read the book from cover to cover for bookgroup. I don't know if I love the music more because I love the book or if I love the book because I already loved the music!?!?! As it stands it is my alltime favorite book!!
    Thanks for the clip. I keep the CD at school so when I go in some mornings at school I sing in my classroom....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that 10th anniversary show I also bought it in DVD for my husband a few years back. All three of my kids do musical theater, and 2 of the 3 have appeared in youth theater productions of Les Miz. Great experiences for both. Not a big North and South fan, though -- never watched it. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

    I'm on kind of a mystery kick recently. Have listened to the "Death on Demand" mysteries, starting in the middle of the series. Now I'm picking up the really early ones and reading them.

    Just having a hard time finding good books recently for some reason -- books that are really engaging me. So I'm heading for non-fiction, to an extent. I'm doing some web writing for a client, so I have a few books on that. And I have a great book ("Built to Sell," by John Warrillow) on, not how to sell a business, but how to create a sellable business. For those who are business-oriented out there, it's a must read. Don't you want to know you can SELL your business if you need to? Especially given the current financial times? The book comes out next month (I have a preview copy). If you have a business, or are married to someone who has a business, it's got some great info for you.

    And now one to find a work of fiction that grabs me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just about to message you and ask which version (if there are more than one - don't know) you have watched. I finished North and South yesterday and then found that version on netflix ON INSTANT PLAY - YES!! We watched it all last night. We did love it, though I kept telling Scott how they were messing up this scene or that, or how this character was really not so violent/soft/decisive, or talking about how it didn't show well all the emotional trauma Margaret had been going through, etc... But it did have a VERY satisfying ending. :) See you on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I love Les Mis. I read the book in high school but never considered seeing the musical, until many years back when my dad came to stay with us. He was really interested in getting the whole 'British experience' so for his birthday, I bought tickets for both of us to go see it on the West End. It was a fantastic experience and I'm so glad I got to share that with my dad.

    And yes, I'm a huge North and South (Richard Armitage) fan. I just rented the first DVD from my online DVD rental place and am now waiting for the second DVD to be sent. (I so want to watch the scene at the train station again!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late, late, late, I know. But I'm with Marg: North and South, yes, but Richard Armitage = yummy. And I LOVE Les Mis; I can't believe it's been more than 20 years since I saw it on stage. Sigh. I need to dig out the soundtrack again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so terribly late, but thank you for helping to spread the word about Literary Locals! You rock!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails