Friday, April 17, 2009

Review: Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte


Book: Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

Genre: Classic

Rating: B+



I wanted to read this one for the Classics Challenge because it's one of the last few of the Bronte sisters stack that I hadn't read yet. There's a reason it's not one of the more popular ones and that's because there really isn't much to it.

It's about a girl who decides to be a governess because her family is struggling financially. The first place she goes to is pretty awful, and she doesn't last long there. Then she ends up at another place, which really isn't much better, but enough that she stays longer. From there, it turns into a sweet, simple love story, without much emotion or drama or surprises.

So, yeah, it was cute and quaint. Everything I expected. So I totally enjoyed it. But it doesn't replace my favorite Bronte books by any means!

7 comments:

  1. Agnes is on my list for a couple of challenges this year but I find myself continually putting it off. Your review is the 2nd one this week that I have read which does not paint it in real favorable light. I WILL get to it though! Great review
    *happy Friday*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compared to The Professor, by Charlotte Bronte, this was a wildly awesome romantic frolic. Seriously, don't read The Professor. Boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to read this one too for the classics challenge. I guess like you, to hit one from all the Bronte sisters. Now I'll know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I need to read more of the Brontes. I think the only one I've read is Jane Eyre, but I have Wuthering Heights. Not sure if I'll give this one a go or not. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, there are families with sisters! I love Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights...just couldn't get through it. I did read one of those books from the author we were wondering about. Victorian mysteries, not bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am rereading Jane Eyre and loving it! I look forward to reading the other Bronte books. Yeay for governesses and love stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim: Don't be discouraged from reading it. It is quite enjoyable.

    Melissa: Interesting. I think The Professor just might be the only I haven't read now.

    Amy: It's actually an easy one as far as classics go.

    Anna: For sure, you need to try Wuthering Heights, just to see where you fall in the big debate of whether it's good or not!

    Boy Mom: LOL, yes there are... families with sisters I mean! :)

    Rebecca: I agree! Governess and love stories are great! Especially Jane Eyre!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails