Friday, March 16, 2012

Your Questions: Answered!

Thanks for all the questions guys! I loved them! In order to answer them all, this post is going to be another long one, so hopefully thats okay. You can pick and choose what to read of course.


Ann from Cozy in Texas asks: What book did you hate at the beginning but persevered and loved in the end? 


You know I would have to say many big fat classics would fall into this category. For example, it took me awhile to get the groove and feel of The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy, but by the end, I was totally in love with it and would now count it as one of my all time favorite books. The Way We Live Now was a lot like this too, and many Charles Dickens books. 




Ang from Eastern Sunset Reads asks:  I know you have a successful book club. I started one about 6 months ago and it continues to falter. How do you get people interested and coming? How do you choose books? 


For me I think things started clicking because we are able library book club sets! When I started using those, people started coming more. They didn't have to worry about how to get a hold of the book. They didn't have to buy it or find it or borrow it or check it out. I get it for them from the library and give it them, and then they make sure they get it back. This is also how we choose books, from looking over the lists from the library. (We actually have two libraries that do this, so we have double the amount.) So this answer is not at all helpful if you don't have library book club sets to try! So other than that, I would say be very consistent in when book club is held, recruit people who truly WANT the book club experience (are willing to try new things, etc.) , take their suggestions for books and put it to a vote, read a variety of things so everyone is happy, and then actually talk about books during book club! :) I did a whole post on this awhile back, here's the link if you missed it. (Which you didn't because you commented!) But mostly don't give up... it took mine at least a year to really catch on, so keep at it okay?




Jenni from Jenni Elyse asks: How do you feel about Daylight Saving Time? Are you a supporter or a hater?


Well, let's just say, I don't get it! As someone was saying the other day, the sun sets and rises at the same time no matter what our clock says. Daylight Saving Time just forces us to GET up earlier, so we can enjoy more day. So, I mean, I guess it's okay, but it is a pain and I hate switching back and forth. So bottom line, I don't feel passionate enough about it to say I'm either a supporter OR a hater! 


Melissa from One Librarian's Book Reviews asks I want to know how you and your husband met!  and Jenny from Alternate Readality asks: I'm with Melissa, and  I've been meaning to get you to tell me that story. So spill. ;)


Short version: In high school!


College Days!
Long version: So there I was on the very first day of high school, going to my very first class (World History Honors) where the teacher sat us in alphabetical order by our last names. Two seats ahead of me, I noticed this really cute dark haired guy from the other junior high (two junior highs fed into this school) and I continued to notice him... that he had many classes with me, that he was smart and quiet and nice, that he had cool friends....and I noticed him all that year, but never once said a word to him. And I noticed him all the NEXT year, but never once said a word to him. (My friend, though had a class with him that year, and talked about him non-stop it seemed.) Then it was our senior year. A few months in, I actually spoke a couple of words to this boy who I'd been observing these past two years! I remember being very excited! That New Year's Eve, there was a church dance which I felt the need to support and go to. I invited my friends, including another guy who was friends with this boy. I said, "bring him!" The guy I'd been dating for about two months at the time, couldn't come, he had family stuff. So anyway, he (yes the dark haired quiet boy!) came! I was pleased. We danced two dances. The sparks flew. He asked me out that next week (ice cream at Fernwoods.) The other guy got mad. They had words. I told them "stop it!" They made up, we were all friends again. So I proceeded to date them both. Then, they weren't friends again. The first boy got mad, stopped talking to me,  then I got sad, begged him to talk to me. The second boy got mad, said, "what the HECK?" and walked off! I was really REALLY sad. Yes, and this went on for three months... my very own love triangle! I know! Fun, yes? :) Not. So, anyway, finally by the end of that senior year, the transition was made and we were firmly and officially together. We went off to college together, then he went on a church mission, came home, we dated another year, then got married.  The end! (Well, the beginning actually, but the end of THAT story!)



Kathy from Read This Instead asks: How do you stay motivated/keep your blogging fun after doing it for so long?How do you decide when you need to switch something up on the blog? (It could be anything - layout, the way you do reviews, the types of posts you do)


It's weird because the more I do this, the more I feel like I have to say. I also find getting more involved in things (blogging events, author events, read alongs, etc.) keeps me motivated. Connecting with other people keeps me motivated because then I feel like there is actually someone reading it (yes, readers really keep one motivated!) And I change things up when I get sick of them! Or if things are starting to bore me, I change it. Or add something, or whatever. I changed my blog quite a lot the first few years, but then I found a look I loved and it stayed that way for a long long time, until just awhile back when I changed it again.

Page from As The Page Turns asks: If you could be any character from a book who would you be and why? 

After much pondering, I've settled on Anne Shirley of Green Gables fame. Here's why: She lives in a beautiful, quaint, quiet, gentle place and time, she has some of the coolest friends ever, she found a loving family, she is smart, beautiful and passionate, she has fun adventures, and last but not least, she has Gilbert, one of the best boys ever in all of literature! :)

Alexia from Alexia's Books and Such asks: Um....if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be? Kidding! Let's say that there's a worldwide book shortage and they have to ration books....which author would you spend your ration coupons on? 

First of all, I would be a pine tree probably. I have no idea why, that just popped into my head. They smell good and they live in the mountains! Secondly, you KNOW who I'd use my coupons on of course!! Markus Zusak. However, I wouldn't be reading a whole lot because he is SLOW in getting new books out, dang it. So maybe I'd have to go with Brandon Sanderson, because he has books coming out all the time, and I love them, and they are LONG and would last me during that book shortage.


Jed, my brother, asks: What is new and exciting in the lives of your college aged kids?

Um, well, they both think they are love at the moment. So, yeah, maybe a double wedding down the road a ways!?  HA, no please. I take that back. 

Chachic from Chachic's Book Nook asks: What are some of the blogging highlights that you've experienced in the past five years?

Yesterday's post pretty much covers the answer to this question! But basically, the highlights have been participating in fun events like the readathon, Armchair BEA, BBAW and Bloggiesta. And finding bosom blogger buddies to read books with, discuss with, watch things wtih, talk music with, write letters (and postcards) to and just plain get to know. Also, finding so many local bloggers that I consider to be my IRL friends now. THAT has been a blast.

Bybee from  Naked Without Books asks:  If you were a nonfiction book, which one would you be?


A year or so ago at the library where I work, the staff made "for fun" tshirts, and as part of that we were to cataloge ourselves, and figure out what Dewey decimal number describes us and then put that number on the back our shirts. The number I picked was.... 028.8... which if you know your numbers, is the section where you'll find books about books... books "all about books." Yes, so I'd be one of them!

Susan from Bloggin' 'bout Books asks: Since the "How did you meet?" question has already been asked, how about your funniest/most embarrassing Mommy moment?

When ever I get asked this, my mind goes blank! I remember being quite embarrassed the time that my daughter, two years old, wandered away from me in a big department store. I panicked,and searched and got the clerks to search with me... we finally found her playing by the elevators and instead of hugging her to me in relief, I yelled at her for wandering away.... in front of the store people. That was embarrassing! 

Gayle from Glimpses asks: Where's your favorite place for a family vacation? Have you ever found any great out-of-the-way spots (i.e. not tourist traps) that you've just loved? And she also asks: So I read in your "Why I Blog" meme that Suey is your real nickname that everyone in the blogging world knows you by (and that you never really liked, but I like how it's so unique!) but I'm wondering what name you go by with your everyday friends and acquaintances?

We love going camping up the mountains to a spot about an hour and a half drive away. It's our true getaway place. We also really love Moab Utah, even though it is actually quite touristy... but I think in a quaint nice way. Arches National Park, right outside of Moab, is one of my most favorite places ever.


Now about the name.... in real life I'm Kerri Sue, both names, kind of a mouth full, which is why I choose to be known by my nickname here on the blog and other online places. Wow, weird... now you know! :) 

Jessica from The Bluestocking Society asks: I want to know about your "second." I mean, I know that Markus Zusak has the number one place in your book-loving heart, but who is second? And maybe add in your third and fourth. :) 



I think possibly John Green is second on my squee-worthy list!  And I'm pretty sure I will like anything he writes. Brandon Sanderson, while not making me squee so much, I will probably like anything HE writes also. 


And that's it!! Thanks for playing guys! You did awesome with the questions and I have had a blast answering them. :)

24 comments:

  1. Great questions and answers. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who asked a non-book related question. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: It was a pretty even mix don't you think?

      Delete
  2. L.O.V.E. this view into you. I would have asked questions but I'm not smart or funny enough to craft that talk-show worthy question. Thank heavens my minions did it for me! This was a fun post to read.
    Thanks for baring your soul and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inside: Glad you enjoyed it! And I'm positive you could have come up with a fun and/smart question easy peasy.

      Delete
  3. This was a lot of fun! It was great hearing how you and your husband met. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, your very own love triangle! I love that story. In real life, they are complicated and painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: It was pretty crazy at the time.

      Delete
  5. How romantic! (about you and your husband). Yes, love triangles are unfortunate. I think particularly more when you are not the peak of the triangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily: Romantic? Really? It seems like a fairly common "how we met" story, though I do feel like I was living a YA novel, though at the time I had no clue what that even was!

      Delete
  6. My blog is here

    http://asthepageturns-page.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. great questions, and it was very fun to read your answers. this was a great (and very brave) idea!

    ~L (omphaloskepsis)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L: I agree about the brave thing... it's always scared me to do this, but hey.. it wasn't so bad after all!

      Delete
  8. Wow! You're very own love triangle! That's sooo cute and kinda funny. ;) It's fun reading these because it makes me realize how many things I don't know about you. Maybe we should discuss more than just books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: Yes, we SHOULD talk more than just books. :) You didn't know my teenage love triangle story before? Hmm...

      Delete
  9. Whew! You are really taking a lot of time with these posts this week. I'm impressed. And while I'm not surprised that you love John Green, I'm kind of surprised that we haven't talked about him more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica: I'll talk about him all you like! He makes me happy.

      Delete
  10. Love all of your answers! It was fun to get to know you a little better, and love the How We Met story! It's funny how the quiet boys turn out to be the keepers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexia: Definitely regarding the quiet boys. :)

      Delete
  11. Loved reading all your answers and getting to know you better! And I loved your "how we met" story! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun answers! I can't imagine you being "Kerry Sue" - it sounds too Southern or girly or something. You'll always be Suey to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I'm Suey to many people now, and have gotten totally used to it so that works for me! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails