Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Sunday Salon: A Meme


Jessica from The Bluestocking Society, did this meme a few days ago, and I thought it would be fun (easy) to do it for The Sunday Salon today:


Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?

I like trade paperbacks the best. Though hardbacks are pretty, and paperbacks are easy to read, so they are all good.

Bookmark or dog-ear?

I love bookmarks. They are fun to collect and make. Dog ear? Yuck. I can't do it.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
I try to alphabetize by author, sort of, on my shelf of books I've already read. Though it gets mixed up fast, since there's just not enough room to make it work, and because there's kids in this house that shuffle through things all the time. My TBR shelf (the messy one by my bed) is not organized at all, and sometimes it stresses me out. But most of the time, I enjoy the chaos.

Keep, throw away or sell?

Keep of course. Sometimes trade at Paperback Swap.

Keep dust jacket or toss it?

What? Of course keep. Hardbacks are pretty, remember? Without the dust jacket, would that be true? I think not!

Last book you bought?

I just bought a couple of books from my daughter's school book orders. Cross my Heart and Hope to Spy for me... and a Clementine one for her.

Last book someone bought for you?

I can't remember. Maybe those two a couple of you got me for my birthday! I think all the books I got for Christmas I got for myself. I can't even remember!

What are some of the books on your to-buy list?

I don't have any specific to buy list right now. I'll probably buy Shannon Hale's new book in June, and for sure the next Hunger Games book in September. Most of my buying is very spontaneous.

Collection (short stories, same author) or anthology (short stories, different author)?

Hmmmm. I'm not much of a short story person, though whenever I read them, I love them. I think I'd lean toward the collection with the same author.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?

Harry Potter. Though Lemony Snicket stuff did make me laugh at first, but then it got old.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?

Morning on the weekends, always nighttime unless I'm exhausted beyond words, and afternoon usually between mommy duties.

The books you need to go with other books on your shelves?
I don't NEED any more books! Wait, I need to continuously work on my classics collection! :) Yeah, that's it.

Do you read anywhere and anytime you can or do you have a set reading time and/or place?

I can read anytime anywhere, but mostly I have my set times and places at home.

Do you have seasonal reading habits?

Not really, but I do try to more in the summer.

Do you read one book at a time or do you have two or more books going at once?

Two or more going at once, usually, though one usually rises to the top and gets more of my focus.

What are your pet peeves about the way people treat books?

The above mentioned dog ear. When my kids throw them, or crush them in their back packs. When someone bends a paperback all the way around to read it. However, my husband thinks I'm rough on books, so I guess I can't say much.

Name one book you surprised yourself by liking.

I just finished Jellicoe Road and LOVED it. Not that that was surprising really, but it started out so confusing, I was beginning to wonder what the big deal was about this book. By the end, I was blown away.

How often do you read a book and not review it on your blog? What are your reasons for not blogging about a book?
Several times I've read and not blogged. Mostly because I can't think of much to say about it, or I think others wouldn't be interested, or I let too much time go by and the moment has passed.
**********
If you're in the mood for bookish meme, go for it! :)

6 comments:

  1. I would try this one again, but I don't think my answers have changed all that much since the last time I did it. :-) It is a fun meme though.

    I loved reading your responses to the questions! Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a similar meme as well, though some of the questions are different.

    Check mine out here: http://savvyverseandwit.blogspot.com/2009/04/bookish-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought The Hunger Games and I can't wait to read it.

    Jellicoe Road sounds really good!

    I dog ear all the time.

    Do you take the dust jacket off while you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Literary Feline: I'm pretty sure I did this one awhile back too, but I can't remember for sure, and I was too lazy to look it up.

    Serena: I'll be checking your answers out soon!

    Raidergirl3: No, I leave the jacket on... for the most part. It serves as a pretty good bookmark... the flap you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading people's responses to this meme!! My favorite of your answers is that you order books for yourself from your daughter's school book orders. I plan on doing the same thing!

    Jessica @ The Bluestocking Society

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, yeah, I order books for me all the time! I'm glad she (my youngest daughter) is now old enough to be bringing home the orders from the good YA book selection.... even though she isn't quite old enough to read them yet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails