Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Possession by Elana Johnson

Book: Possession by Elana Johnson
Genre: YA Dystopian
Rating: A-
For: Fun (and supporting Utah Authors)
From: I bought it at the Utah Book Festival awhile back

Like most dystopian novels, this is the story of a girl who lives in a very controlled world. Even the very things you think are given to you. You don't have to do one thing! Life is so... easy! But Vi fights against this idea and has been a rule breaker for years. This gets her into a lot of trouble and eventually lands her in confinement with some dude who is bad. Like, really really BAD. This forces Vi to come to terms with whether or not she is Bad or Good, which is the central question in this book. It's very confusing what is bad or good, who is bad or good and where Vi, or her two boys (of course there's two boys) come down. It's also a question of if you have the power to control people, should you do it? I think most of us know what we'd say to that one.

Anyway, very fun story. I didn't have much idea what it was going to be about except that Jenny said it was like a weird dream, which I totally agree with. It leaves you shaking you head in confusion much of the time, but I suspect that's the point for the most part. Illogical things happen all over the place, which may make certain readers crazy at times. Actually, come to think of it, it DID make me crazy at times!

I really enjoyed the first part, but in the second half it seemed to really lose... dare I say it... control! Hey, maybe that was the point too? Hmmmm. Anyway, a really interesting story laid out to us in a unique way.

Bottom line: I enjoyed it! A quick page turner for sure.

Other Reviews:

Alternate Readality
Bewitched Bookworms
One Librarian's Book Reviews
Read This Instead



4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna read this book :D Another dystopian added to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you liked it! And I think it's really funny that we read many of the same books at the same time. I just finished Crossed, so now I'm wondering if that's what you're reading, too. :)
    And thanks for linking to my review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, that's two people who have gone into this one only knowing what I said about it and both of you mentioned that in your reviews. I'm glad you liked it and I'm glad it drove you crazy at parts cause that's how I felt too. Yay, a book opinion we have in common. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails