Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember...

.... waking up and turning the radio on. There was news that made me want to turn on the TV.

.... the TV confirmed that something was happening.

.... we sat with our mouths open and our eyes glued.

.... I had kids to get ready for school. It was hard. But they got ready.

.... the towers fell. I was freaking out, but my kids were watching. I had to calm. I said to them, "This is big. This is very big. You will remember this forever." I don't know if they believed me.

.... and then I had to send them off to school. One in 6th grade, one in 4th, and one in 1st.

.... I wanted to keep them home with me.

.... then I wanted to talk to people. I called my mom and dad. We remembered I had cousins in both New York and DC. We hoped they were okay.

.... I called my sister in law. She hadn't heard anything yet. I said, really, you better turn your TV on.

.... I took my 2 year old and we tried to do errands. I couldn't concentrate. I went back home.

.... I watched TV for four days straight.

.... Then I watched flags appearing everywhere. I watched how people's patriotism bloomed.

.... We put our flag out...

... and we mourned with the whole country. And we still mourn. Just like I told my kids, we will never forget.


I can't believe it's been ten years.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that. It was such a horrible thing that we all experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it has been 10 years either... It is the sort of day where you will never forget where you were.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails