Thursday, September 29, 2011

Character Connection: Joe Fontaine from The Sky is Everywhere


One of my most recent character crushes is Joe Fontaine from The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. (Be sure to click on over to Jen's Character Connection feature and link up to participate!) And once again, since I have such a hard time writing why, I'm going to list why. (I have no idea why that is so much easier for me!)

Reasons why Joe leaps off the page for me:

* First, his physical description of course: messy brown curls, green eyes, very tall. In the book they say he looks like a gypsy, no a rock star, no a pirate! Heathcliff even maybe, then again, no maybe not.
* He's a musical genius, playing all sorts of instruments but especially clarinet, guitar and trumpet. He writes songs too, special songs for people he loves.
* He is constantly smiling! Jack-o-lantern happy they say! Bright and brilliant, all the time.
* He is concerned and sincere.
* He moves slowly, he becomes friends first, if you know what I mean.
* He's lived a bunch in Paris, so he sort of has the French thing going on too.
* He "gets" Lennie, with all her traumatic past.
* He "gets" her strange eccentric family too.
* Mostly I love this guy because he is real. Very real.

You need to read this book and meet him.

Look! I actually found a celebrity to match the image of Joe in my head!
I don't even know who this guy is... Adrian Grenier they tell me.
If only he was holding a guitar!
Oh wait, here's one!





4 comments:

  1. Wow, you found a celebrity to go with the picture in your head? Fun! I actually know who this guy is too so now I feel special. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gypsy, rock star, pirate or Heathcliff? I like the sound of that! But not the curls. I've fought my own for too many years to like them on a crush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny: I'm thinking he needs to be in more things...

    Jen: Are you kidding me with the curls??? Sheesh, they do me in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea who that guy was, so thanks for the link. :) He really is a good pick for Joe (or his older brothers). There were so many great characters in that book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails