Monday, December 2, 2013

Book Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Book: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Genre: YA Dystopian
Rating:★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
For: Fun
From: bought for my Kindle

This is the second of a series. The first book is Shatter Me, which I enjoyed but wasn't overly impressed. This book, however, totally sucked me in and I still can't stop thinking about the characters. Ummm.. maybe it's a mood thing?

[Spoilers for the first book ahead!]

We pick up the story when our main character, Juliette, is trying to start a new life with her new friends who are living in a big underground bunker place where they plan to fight the new and not so wonderful society. A society who is led, in this in this particular sector, by a guy named Warner.

So, Juliette, as we know from Shatter Me, has a deadly power in that when she touches someone, they die. Except for Adam, who she loves. And, as we also learn in the first book, except for Warner. Well, so. Now Adam is having problems, having to do with his power. This is not good for their relationship. Oh boy, things are tense!

Then, one day, they go out to rescue some of their people, and in the process, they take Warner hostage! Bam, and suddenly, Juliette and Warner are thrown together again, and guess what? There's a new development here which I will not tell you about but it makes things oh so even more intense!

Oh my word, someone said this book is steamy, and they were right. It's dripping with the steam and the emotion and the crazy flip flopping of how you think about all the characters and then you end up not knowing at ALL what you are hoping for. Everything is turned on its head and I loved it.

Oh and did I mention Kenji? Love this guy! What a most awesome character. Forget Adam and Warner... how about Kenji? :)

The writing style is still weird. I have no idea how else to describe. It's just plain weird. But I got used to it fast and it didn't bother me as much this go around as it did in the first book. And like I said, I can't stop thinking about these guys and we where we left them, so I'm very anxious to keep reading in the next book, which I think is called Ignite Me. Yeah. Whew. Is it out yet? (I have just looked it up, and nope, not until February.)

Bottom line: Intensely emotional book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Other Reviews:

As for more intense characterization, unexpected plot lines, and striking prose in the final book? Bring it on. From Book Harbinger

I FEEL a lot of things about this book. Love, anger… I can’t even begin to think about it logically. If you couldn’t tell, it’s like this book summoned up a tornado within me. From Anna Reads

Unravel Me was such a deep and thoughtful novel filled with dark secrets and terrible emotions. From Dark Faerie Tales

When action happens, it happens fast and without many words. The majority of the book is free association. From A Musing Reviews

In Unravel Me, Taherah Mafi sets up the most wrenching love triangle I have read since I cried through an entire box of tissues when that stupid Amy ended up with Laurie in Little Women. From YA Romantics

1 comment:

  1. I have heard a lot about these books. One day I really must read them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails