Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Book: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Genre: Supernatural/Dystopian
Rating:★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
For: Fun
From: cheap book bought for my Kindle

Yet, another book that I've heard bloggers rave about in the recent past that I'm finally getting to!

This one is about a girl who, when she touches people, she pretty much saps their life soul right out of them. Because of this, she has been put in jail for murder, which is where we find her when the book opens up. However, she is then "rescued" by a guy who is in charge of this chaotic society gone bad, and who has plans to manipulate her and use her for his gain and his power.

She is going to have none of this of course. So she escapes with the help of another guy that she is very much attracted to and who she knows from her past. Together, they fight this society and hope to find a place where they can live in peace and maybe perhaps help restore some sort of humanity back to society.

So, I totally enjoyed this one and flew through it really fast. It's definitely page turning and all that. The characters were interesting and engaging. But as I read along, I felt like it was just trying to hard. It was trying to hard to be unique, when in reality, it was pretty much the same old sort of  "kids with superpowers" book trying to right the wrongs of a dystopian world. So in the end, I felt like it was just the same old same old, with a lot of pretty words and poetic writing trying to hide that fact from us.

Bottom line: Even though I enjoyed the story, I was not overly impressed or wow-ed.

Other Reviews:

The author's writing style took a little getting used to, as she utilizes a distracting annoying unique method of strike-thrus in order to help us try to understand Juliette's jumbled thoughts. From Alexia's Books and Such

It’s a compelling story with a powerful premise. From Proud Book Nerd

Shatter Me is a hauntingly intense and compelling page-turner. From TheBookBind

The writing was good...for about two seconds. Then I wanted to shout, "shut up and just tell the dang story! From Alternate Readality



10 comments:

  1. I'm so scared to read this one because it's either a total hit with bloggers or a huge miss ... It's still sitting on my shelf, so one of these days I will get to it. That's too bad you weren't overly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristilyn: It's easy to read, so do go ahead and try it sometime! Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  2. This is good to know. Seems like most people who I have similar taste in books with didn't really care for it. I think I'll probably pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy: BUT... what if you would have LOVED it??? :)

      Delete
  3. This does sounds like just more of the same, but I don't think that would keep me from having fun reading it :) I also think I could like the strike-through thing that some people have disliked, so I might give this one a try. Thanks for the helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DoingDewey: I hope you end up giving it a try.

      Delete
  4. Yeah I wasn't wowed buy it either. totally agree with your thoughts too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. is this for readers unfamiliar with the X-Men? She sounds just like Rogue, and the premise you describe reads a lot like her plot-line from the film X-Men (2000)... not that characters and plot-lines are not re-imagined, re-written, etc, but I found the similarity of the book description to me amusing.

    ~L (omphaloskepsis)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L: Yeah, she is totally like Rogue! I'd forgotten that.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails