Thursday, December 26, 2013

Movie Review: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Movie: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Genre: Fantasy
Starring: Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen
Rating: MG 13
My Rating: Two thumbs up

I started worrying a little when we decided to go to this movie. I'd heard both good and bad things about it. Some loved it, some thought it was boring. And since I wanted to pay the money to go to the Imax (with a crowd of family in tow) I really didn't want to waste my money on a boring movie.

I shouldn't have worried. It was awesome. The 3D Imax high frame rate thing was amazing. We truly felt like we were in the movie. The fact that my husband actually fell asleep during it doesn't mean anything, right? Everyone else loved it and sat through the nearly three hours without problem!

What I loved:
  • That we get to know the dwarves better. And the elves actually. Basically, there was good character development. 
  • The barrel ride and fight. Cool effects. 
  • That Kili had a story line.
  • That Sauron was introduced to the mix.
  • That Legolas was "back".
  • That Lee Pace had screen time.
  • That the dragon was as awesome as expected.
  • That there was cool elf parkour going on!
  • There were girls (well, a girl) and a romance, sort of.
  • That when the dragon breathed fire, we the audience actually felt it. 
  • And so much more!
What didn't bother me:
  • That so much of this is not in the book.
  • That it's so long.
  • That they could heat up and melt gold so fast with machinery that had been sitting there forever and ever. 
  • That Legolas looked a little too old.
And I loved the credit song. Take a listen:


And there's the trailer if you'd like:

10 comments:

  1. I still haven't seen this. I want to see it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to see it, but I think I'll skip the 3D this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Tolkien fan the first time I saw it I was dissappointed--it doesn't resemble "The Hobbit" at all. The second time I watched it I knew what to expecto so for a Peter Jackson invention of the story of Thorin Oakenshield and his merry band of dwarves it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley: Interesting. I wonder if I'll be going a second time or not. I'd love to.

      Delete
  3. Both of our boys saw this and enjoyed it a lot. I suggested to my oldest that it was surprising he didn't have a problem with the things that had been added to the movie that were not in the book. He said there was nothing there that was completely out of place so he had no problem with the additions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw this the other day and loved it!! I did notice a number of differences more this time around because I just re-read the book this year as a read-aloud with my son. The barrels is one of my favorite parts in the book, and with the added action in the movie, it was fun to watch. There were a lot of extras in the movie, but the information has been shared elsewhere, so I was okay with them. In the book, they just mentioned Gandalf leaving the group, but we never found out where he went or what he was doing. I like that they filled in the blanks for the movie because it really helps to better set up the LOR trilogy as well.

    In the end, LOVED it, but am mad that I have to wait another year to finish out the series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tif: I know! The end is crazy. "What have we done?" Oh my word.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen this yet, and I'm a little scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami: Don't be. It's awesome. You'll have a blast making fun of Legolas though I'm sure! But you'll love Thorin. And Kili.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails