Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Sunday Salon: My Own Little Readathon


I've been reading a lot this weekend. So yes, it's been like my own private readathon. So what else is new, right? Isn't this how every weekend is? Well, not always. But it has been especially slow and quiet around here the past couple of weeks. I think it's the calm before the storm of school starting and the lazy summer life being completely turned upside down.

So I must take advantage while I can!

Friday I was completely absorbed by Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and finished that Saturday morning. It was much better than I expected, but I'll let you know all my feelings on it coming up in a real review soon. And that I've got it read, I probably won't even see the movie for awhile. To me, it's more a "rent from Redbox" movie than a "pay for the big screen" sort. What do you think?

Once that was done, I started concentrating on Children of God by Mary Doria Russell. I'm starting to get a feeling what might be happening in this book. Sheesh. And there was a surprise right from the get go that I really enjoyed! Anyway, so I've got a good start on that.

Then last night, and today I couldn't help myself and started reading A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner. That one is a little surprising so far too. Hmmm.... not sure what to think. There's not quite enough Gen in it for me at this point. I'm holding out hope though.

I've gotten back on the treadmill this week too (yes I took a little break okay?) and so that book is currently Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr. Hopefully I'll finish that one this week too.

I've got a lot of spiritual-ish books going on these days. What's up with that? Is someone trying to tell me something?

In between reading, we've been continuing with our Prison Break marathon. We got season two from the library last Monday and every night have watched at least three episodes. Tonight, we have the last two to go. And I'm really nervous about how it will end because we don't have the third season waiting in the wings! This just might be the thing that pushes us over the edge into getting Netflix finally! And I'm also nervous because I heard that, like many TV series, it goes down hill in the final seasons, but oh, well. I'm so hooked I don't care hardly.

So, how's your weekend going?

9 comments:

  1. Nice to have your own readathon! I had a bit of one myself, but not nearly as much as I would have liked!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to create my own read-athon. For some reason I have always associated these with the weekend, but since this is my "last" week of summer, perhaps I will do one during the week. Thanks for the inspiration to think outside the box!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sort of ready for my own private readathon (which has been going on since April) to end now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you did read a lot this weekend - nice work! I also had my own little mini readathon since this was my first weekend without plans in a month and I took full advantage and read 3 books - loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My holidays are finally coming up, and I have one week with the kids home, and one week when they are back at daycare. I would plan a reading holiday for myself, but I'm afraid if the universe learns I have plans, they might get derailed, that's how this summer has gone so far! I am going to keep it as a dream, a secret wish for two weeks from now :-) thanks for telling us how yours went!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you enjoying the second season of Prison Break? Really?

    I loved the show right up until the second to last episode of season one, when I became disgusted with what seemed to be a "oh shoot, we're popular! We have to drag this out to make more money!" twist in the plot and stopped watching.... so I have no idea what happened after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie: Yeah, I swear every weekend is a mini readathon for me.

    Molly: I hope you can read a lot this week. Go for it!

    Amanda: LOL...yeah, I think me too, but I hope it doesn't really totally end!

    Amused: Three books! Cool.

    Susan: I hope you can fit lots of reading in still.

    Britt: Really. REALLY! I can't believe you could stop with one episode left in the first season! Wow...yeah.. the second season is totally different from the first. And the intensity level is insane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eat,Pray,Love did not do much for me but glad that you liked it!

    I finished The King of Attolia and really loved the book. Not certain which book I would rank as my favorite out of the three. I want to read A Conspiracy of Kings because I am most definitely hooked on this world! Although, isn't this book more about Sophos? I was under the impression that it was so if that is true then maybe that is why Gen is not present much.

    My work-out sessions have been dismal these last few weeks. I must get back into gear. My oldest son just bought one of those things that a bike can be placed on...stays stationary while cycling. I am excited to use it when the actually going out cycling is out of the question.

    Thanks for liking up Resistance to your sidebar. Have been listening to the song while reading your blog. I do love Muse and this is one of my favorite songs on this album. I get to see them again this October....looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails