Monday, August 2, 2010

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Book: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: YA paranormal
Rating: B+
For: fun
From: the library

I'm glad to have finally read this one so I can form my own opinion. It seems like there's lots of people who love it, and many who also really don't love it much at all..

So for the small few of you who haven't read it, this is the story of Grace and Sam. Right at the beginning of the book, when she is a kid, Grace has a bit of an incident with a pack of wolves. Sam saves her, but not quite in the way you'd think.

Anyhow, she is ever afterwards fascinated with the wolves, especially one particular one with yellow eyes. When one boy in the town goes missing, the men get all crazy and run through the woods shooting the wolves. That causes something to happen which completely changes everything. And so it goes from there.

I really enjoyed the whole wolf thing. I love wolves. They are they coolest looking animal ever. Really. So that was fun. And I liked that the story itself was simple and we didn't have to get a big long lesson in rules of a different world and such.

I did notice that this love story was really really big on the sense of smell. I guess it makes sense, but it was almost to the point of distraction for me.

And as is always, I disapprove of certain teenage choices that are made in this book. Yeah, that seems to happen in these YA books a lot these days.

But for the most part, I enjoyed the story and it's premise. I know Linger just came out and perhaps I'll try to get my hands on it soon!

Bottom line: I enjoyed it.

There's a great website about the book here. Check it out.

Other Reviews:

In Bed with Books
Beth Fish Reads
Devourer of Books
Gallysmith
...and a ton others!

3 comments:

  1. You and I agree on the wolf thing - they are just so fascinating. Between Perrin in Robert Jordan's books and Sam here, well ... I'm not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading a lot of wolf books lately. Shiver was good,and the romance was achingly poignant. I do really like how Maggie writes and will probably read just about anything she releases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather: Yes, the Perrin storyline is lots of fun. Can't wait to see what's up with him!

    Jan: What other wolf books have you enjoyed lately?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails