Friday, August 20, 2010

Review: Mistwood by Leah Cypess

Book: Mistwood by Leah Cypess
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: A-
For: Fun
From: the library

The thing that I enjoyed about this book is the fact that its premise/plot/storyline was much different from most of these sorts of books I've been reading lately. There was no new girl who meets a mysterious boy and falls in love. There was no girl who discovers she is half something else and the mysterious boy is all something else!

Instead, we have a girl who is from the beginning, a shape shifter. The whole purpose of her existence, from the dawn of time, is to protect the king and his family. But, something happened years before the book opened, that messed things up, and now she is confused and having a bit of amnesia and needs to figure out what's really going on.

And that's when things get really interesting, when we find out what's really going on. There's twists and surprises galore. I would be curious to know if all those who think they are amazing predictors can predict what ends up happening in this one! Very fun.

Bottom line: I really liked it a lot!

For more on author Leah Cypess, here's her website.

Other reviews:

Angieville
Gamila's Book Review
Charlotte's Library
Steph Su Reads

3 comments:

  1. I did love the premise of this one but had a hard time with the characters, who I found sort of flat, and much of the motivation for their actions lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh... for a split second there I thought you were that "other" Josh! :) Yeah, so I don't do many giveaways, so it really wouldn't make sense for me to be on your search engine. Thanks though!

    Jan: Yeah, I think you are right there. I didn't feel a lot of excitement for the characters much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one, too. My review is here:

    http://www.blogginboutbooks.com/2010/05/tired-of-simpering-heroines-then.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails