Monday, August 16, 2010

Review: Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr

Book: Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr
Genre: YA
Rating: A-
For: Support Local Authors
From: I bought it.

This is the story about a girl, Sam, who's the daughter of the local pastor. All her life she feels like her family has had to act perfectly and put on a happy face for all the church goers. But things are not so happy. The book opens shortly after her mom has been sent to rehab for alcoholism. And her dad doesn't seem that bothered by it. But of course Sam is really upset by it all, and the faith that she has grown up with all her life is challenged.

But then something even worse happens in the neighborhood to challenge that faith even further, and things seem to go from bad to worse. Sam doesn't know if she can weather the storm.

It's a bittersweet story with lots of emotion and deep questions to ponder (which is the Sara Zarr trademark I've learned.) It's a simple, quick book and so when you are in the mood for more of a "real life" story, this is it.

Bottom line: I enjoyed it.

Other Reviews:

Maw Books Blog
Book Addiction
One Librarian's Book Reviews
Reading Junkie's Reading Roost

7 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read one of her books. Maybe I'll have to pick this one up. Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds intriguing, I need to read it since you have piqued my interest with the something worse happens in the neighborhood. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following Sara Zarr since before Story of a Girl was contracted, but I've yet to read one of her books, alas. I really want to read this one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had this book checked out from the library and then it sat on my piano until finally I needed to return it...unread. gasp! I thought that maybe I would be bored of the story, now I wish I read it after reading your thoughts.
    Back onto my radar (tbr list) it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To you all: any of her books are good! You should all give her a try. They are all very real to life and pack powerful messages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I hear such good things about Sarah Zarr and yet I never see her books anywhere :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great book review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/08/once-was-lost-by-sara-zarr.html

    Thanks and have a nice day!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails