Monday, August 9, 2010

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Book: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: A-
For: Fun
From: The library

This is the story of Meghan Chase. Her life seems fairly normal at first. She's got a quirky friend (that's a boy) and a cute four year old half brother and busy mom and step dad. She's concerned about getting her learner's permit and dealing with the popular girls at school. Yes, all pretty normal.

But then, strange stuff starts to happen. Her brother starts acting weird and she learns he might not be who she thinks he is, and her friend might not be who she thinks he is. And suddenly her world is turned upside down.

Many things in this story reminded me of other books. There's a magic closet door, and a clever smiling cat, and all sorts of strange talking creatures, and mean queens. Oh, and of course the darkly handsome, mysterious yet angry prince!

This book started out great. I felt like it was going to be different and fun. But then in the middle it sort of turned into the same old same old and it drug a little for me. But then, it perked up and felt different again toward the end and had me turning the pages pretty quickly. So I'm a little mixed in my feelings for it, but:

Bottom line: I really quite liked it.

For more about this series (because of course, you know it is a series, right?!) here's it's own website.
For more about author Julie Kagawa check out her official site

Other Reviews:

One Librarian's Book Reviews
Jenn's Bookshelves
The Page Flipper
Sarah's Random Musings

3 comments:

  1. It's good to know you give this one a thumbs up. There are several of these YA fantasy books on my TBR list and it's been hard for me to pick which ones to read. It seems the reviews are very mixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think between you and Melissa, this has jumped up a few spots on my To Read list.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that you overall liked this story. It is also good to know that the middle of the book did not do much for you so when I read it and if that happens for me I will press on. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails