Thursday, August 12, 2010

BTT: Evolution

Today's Booking Through Thursday question:


Have your reading choices changed over the years? Or pretty much stayed the same? (And yes, from childhood to adulthood we usually read different things, but some people stick to basically the same kind of book their entire lives, so…)




I haven't done a BTT question in forever, so how about I try it today?

Well, hopefully my reading choices HAVE changed over the years. It would be sad if I ended up just reading the same old same old year in and year out. Don't you think? So how has it changed?

First of all, I used to read WAY more classics. I feel bad that my classic book consumption has been sliding drastically in recent years. So obviously, it's not that I don't want to read them. It's just that they don't seem to be getting the highest priority.

Instead, I seem to be reading much more YA than in years past. I think it's obvious why, because there used to not be this huge overwhelming amount of amazing YA books as there are now. Yes, that genre has changed, and  I've been there to participate.

Years ago, I remember really being into the romantic suspense/mystery novels (like Phyllis Whitney books, etc.) and now nothing I read really fits that category. I was always into fantasy, but lately that seems to have escalated. I used to read way more historical fiction than I do now, and frankly, I miss those.

It makes me wonder what the trend will be ten years from now and how everything will change again. I look forward to the ride!

How has your reading changed over the years?

8 comments:

  1. If I keep on the way I've been going, in ten years I'll be reading several more genres without having subtracted any. Since, eyesight permitting, I could continue a book addict for another five or six decades, that trend is a little alarming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always read pretty much everything. It can only get better with time and it is...

    Here is my BTT: Evolution post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool question!!! It used to be I only read romance, now there is very little I won't read. Although I do go through phases with the types of books I read. I will get all into historical fiction for a few months then I need something else and another phase is born!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amat: Me too exactly! Do you think in 10 years from now, technology will be such that we'll suddenly have more time in the day to read? :)

    Gautami: Me too! I read pretty much everything too, off and on.

    Stephanie: Phases are fun, don't you think?

    Radiergirl: LOL! I've asked my kids many times today... "It IS Thursday today, right?" I'm feeling off I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My preference didn't so much change, as it did...evolve. Here's My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting to do this kind of evaluation every once in a while. Since I started blogging, I read a lot more contemporary fiction because that seems to be what gets the buzz. I'm trying this year to get a few more classics and older books in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to read WAY more classics too! Probably because I was told too but I enjoyed a lot of them. I should start reading more classics again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails