Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Character Names I'd Give My Children


This week over at The Broke and the Bookish, the Top Ten subject is:

Characters I'd Name My Children After

Here's what I've come up with:

1. Taran from The Black Cauldron series (though I would spell it Taryn and use it for a girl)
2. Tristan from the Tristan and Isolde stories
3. Shae from The Sword of Shannara
4. Molly from Wives and Daughters
5. Oliver from Oliver Twist
6. Jace from City of Bones (which I STILL haven't read)
7. Tess from Tess of the D'urbervilles
8. Juli from The Far Pavilions
9. Perrin or Rand from the Wheel of Time, I can't decide which
10. Wentworth from Persuasion (and it might be only just a little because I love that Wentworth Miller was named after this character!)

If my kids weren't all already here and named, I'd totally go for the ones on this list! What would you put on your list?

11 comments:

  1. I actually know a Taran, after Taran of the Prydain books. And before we knew we were having all girls, my husband begged to name a boy George, and he used Mr. Knightly (whom I adore) as the tipping point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love Oliver! I never read the book but that's a great name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've gotten to use favorite character names for both of my children. :)

    Will (Will Stanton from THE DARK IS RISING & Will Ladislaw from MIDDLEMARCH) and Piper (from HOW I LIVE NOW).

    Still trying to come up with the third one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shae is a good pick, but for Sword of Shannara, I'd have to go with Allanon. As for Wheel of Time, I know it's burdening the child with a horrible literary background, but I love the name Lanfear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taryn is a cute name. My sister's name is Caryn (Karen). I like Ys in between Rs and Ns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was named Megan after the main character from Window on the Square by Phyllis Whitney (this was before the name got so popular here in the 'States); and my sister Tibby was named for the main character in Elswyth Thane's Dawn's Early Light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taran is a great name, with or without a y :) I loved that series. I haven't thought about it in a long time, maybe it's time to go back and re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name Jace, I included it on my list too! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice call on Tristan! I also really like Jace and Tess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love Jace, but one of my kids have a nickname that is very similar so I may be a bit biased on that one!

    I also really, really love Finn from Incarceron! In fact, if my second had been a boy, that would have been the name! And, this was before the book was released!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails