Monday, August 3, 2015

Book Review Discussion: Elevated by Elana Johnson

Book: Elevated by Elana Johnson
Genre: YA Romance/ Verse
Rating:★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
For: Utah Book Month
From: Bought on Kindle

Short Synopsis: A bad thing happened before the story starts that we as readers are gradually made aware of. What we do know is that El has been avoiding a certain guy for months since this thing happened, and that the elevator is significant in this relationship. So this one day, she has to take the elevator and it gets stuck, but before that happens, this boy gets on. Yes, they are stuck together. And then, they start talking, because he has no idea what's up with her. Then we get all the flashbacks as they talk and learn what's going on with them and what happened. And finally, what they are going to do about it.

My Response: I totally enjoyed this. The verse thing is awesome, especially for a book like this that is pretty much total emotion. Sometimes it may have been a little over the top emotion, but still, I liked that and got totally caught up in it. The romance was great and the story engaging. I was dying to know how they would work it all out.

Bottom Line: A quick fast read when you are in a emotional verse mood!

Let's Talk About: How are you with emotionally charged books? Do you love them? Immerse yourself in the emotion? Or do you tend to roll your eyes and moan a little? I think you know that I for one, love them.

Other Reviews:

This is a format I personally love, and Elana does a great job with it. I sincerely hope there will be more novels in verse from her in the future! From Christine Fonseca

The characters were very fleshed out and story was very deep. It was a lot darker than I had imagined it would be. From Jenni Elyse

There’s something about the off kilter narrative, the way we bounce back and forth through the present (in the elevator) and all the things that led us to this point that makes this book so good. From A.B. Keuser

In the end, if you can make it through the poor decisions and MC's guilt trips, you'll find a beautiful and important message. A message so important that the whole sad story made it worth it. From Alternate Readality




2 comments:

  1. I love emotionally charged books. I think it's the emotion that makes reading worth it. If there's no emotion, then the book usually doesn't do it me. (Yes, I said usually since apparently Dune doesn't have a lot of emotion.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on whether i like the characters or not. If I don't like them there's some eye rolling going on for sure.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails