Thursday, July 23, 2015

Book Review Discussion: This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Book: This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Genre: YA SF
Rating:★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
For: Fun
From: Library

Short Synopsis: This story takes place in the same futuristic world as These Broken Stars, but with different characters. (However, the characters from These Broken Stars make a little appearance.) This time we are on a sad dark world where the military is fighting against the native rebels. Our girl, Lee, is a soldier and our boy, Flynn is a rebel. When their paths cross, they realize that they are actually fighting for the same thing. They somehow combine their efforts to accomplish what they really want, meanwhile alienating themselves from both of their respective groups. It gets a bit complicated.

My Response: Just as intense and engaging as the first book though a bit more political and warfare-ish. As you know, sometimes that sort of stuff goes right over my head, but I did get the underlying problem, which is leftover from the first book and thus the reason that Tarver and Lilac end up involved in the end. Which is awesome. It's fun to see Tarver from Lee's point of view. It's like he's a totally different guy. So, while I enjoyed these characters, I still loved the ones from the first book best. Oh, well. It happens. Anyway, I love the writing and the crazy stuff and the connection with characters who are from different life cultures and all the romantic tension and... yeah, pretty much everything. I'll be looking for the next book for sure!

Bottom Line: In the mood for science fiction? Don't miss this series!

Let's Talk About: Some people really like companion books instead of sequels. And yet, when we have companion books, those characters we love from the first book aren't really featured. And then we get crazy. So, which one is it for you? Are you a fan of the sequels or companion books?

Other Reviews:

These authors do a great job with taking old romantic plot lines and reformulating them in other times on other planets. From Rhapsody in Books

The story itself fit nicely in the world and series that begun in These Broken Stars and also got us a few glimpses on out beloved Lilac and Traver (just not enough for me..) From Bewitched Bookworms

One of the things that I have been liking about this series is the authors' ability to write a strong kick-ass female character. I liked Jubilee and the fact that she could save herself. From The TBR Pile

The connections to the first novel are present, but This Shattered World functions completely independently and has a conclusion. From A Garden Carried in the Pocket

5 comments:

  1. I need to read these books! I'm ok with companion novels because if I like the writing and the world but but the characters so much then I can still enjoy them with out the annoying characters. Like Anna and what's his name. Ugh! Ain't got nothing on Lola and Cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer sequels over companion novels because then I get to read about the characters I fall in loved with. But, I do love meeting new characters too. So, I'm okay reading companion novels maybe 20% of the time compared to sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd prefer a sequel. I loved These Broken Stars and would have liked another story with the same characters.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails