Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Kdrama Review: Semantic Error

Drama: Semantic Error (on Viki)

(8, 25 min episodes)

Genre: BL romance

Starring: Park Seoham and Park Jaechan

Rating: ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤


Yes, I've been watching lots of dramas lately! My reading is having a hard time keeping up!

So I've hesitated even discussing this drama, but it's been a pretty big deal and I have thoughts, so here I am. 

This is the first BL drama I've watched. (BL=boy love for those not up on the lingo.) There was a time when I thought I'd never watch one. Just not my thing, you know. But if there's one thing I've learned these past few years... is never say never, and keep an open mind.  I feel in a very weird place regarding BLs. I feel judged or... maybe... that's not even right word... I feel very in the middle of both sides here... right in between my conservative upbringing and so many IRL conservative friends... and then the more liberal views of online friends and much more diverse circles I'm a part of there. 

I'm sure my conservative friends are thinking... wait what? You watched what now? And my liberal friends are thinking... girl... get over it! What is even your hesitation here? 

So bottom line is, I'm going with my own feelings, trying to not worry about anyone else and what they think... and in this case, I was all in regarding this drama (because of the actors,) even though I approached it a bit warily. 

THAT all being said... this is a story about two dudes who go to college together. The one dude (a year younger in school) is so annoyed with the other one because they were in a group project together and he ended up doing all the work. We all know that feeling, yes? And so he called him out on it which made the older one end up having to take another semester and not graduate on time. So now HE is annoyed and tracks down the younger guy to.. I don't know what... just bother him like crazy mostly. 

Well, so that didn't go as planned, because now the older guy becomes intrigued by him. Their personalities are complete and totally opposite, so at first all he does is tease him and bug him. But then, suddenly he realizes he looks forward to seeing him every day. 

The younger one is a game programmer and the older one is a game designer.  And our younger guy (geez should I just use their names... but I think of them in terms of their real names! LOL!) decides that he wants the older one to design his game, even if he is making him crazy.

And so it goes from there and guys. I loved it. So cute. 

Like I said, I wanted to watch and support this drama because of the actors, both guys I know from kpop groups. When I first heard they were going to be in this drama together, I was like, seriously? I could not picture it. So I had to see it and decide for myself what I thought.

And they nailed it. Such great acting, great connection, great chemistry. And what do you know, I'm not the only who thought that. This drama has become a huge hit and everyone who is familiar with the genre is saying it's one of the best ones they've ever watched. Go figure that the first one I decide to watch is basically the best! LOL! 

I also enjoyed it because it wasn't preachy and "in your face" about things, if you know what I mean. It was just a love story. I don't know how else to explain it. But yeah. It wasn't trying to convince me of anything except the connection between these two characters. 

Jaechan (on the left.. the "younger" one... from DONGKIZ)
Seoham (on the right, the "older" one, formerly from KNK)
This is one of my favorite scenes. Though I think this is a shot
from behind the scenes because Jaechan's character rarely smiled like this!


And now both of these guys and their respective groups are getting so much love and attention. Well, actually Seoham left his group KNK awhile back, but Jeachan and DONGKIZ? Oh my word I never thought I'd see the day that people would be talking about them. The outpouring of love for them is overwhelming. I'm sure Jaechan (well the both of them actually)  thought if his decision to do this drama would be detrimental for his career, but he went with his gut and look at things now. It's crazy. I can't wait to see what they both do in the future. 

So anyway, I guess it remains to be seen if I watch more. There is another one I'm interested in because the actor is another favorite. So we'll see. I told people if they are all this cute and endearing and heartwarming, then I will watch more. (Of course they aren't all, but there's a bunch I guess!) 

So yeah. First BL and I loved it. Go figure!

Here's a trailer for those of you interested to see for yourself what I'm talking about here:


7 comments:

  1. You know what? I think you just need to do you and not worry about what others think. I’m actually proud of you for being brave enough to post this on your blog. This drama sounds cute and fun. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I'm to the age now where I'm going to like what I like and not worry what others think about it. If they feel the need to belittle it, then that's a them problem. This was a sweet love story. I loved every minute of it.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post Suey! And I'm so happy you enjoyed this series. I can't wait to watch it, I even went and got a Chromecast so I can see it on my big screen - don't want to waste all that cuteness on my laptop :). It will be my first BL too, and I'm glad it will be one that is so universally loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is one of the best. Like any genre of fiction (whether TV, film or books), the quality runs the gamut. But Semantic Error was just wonderfully adapted, directed and acted. I honestly think the world would be a happier, safer place if people would stop worrying about who falls in love with who. As long as they are consenting adults, it's no one else's business. Just let people be happy. Hope you enjoy the drama.

      Delete
  3. Don't apologize or feel weird, you like what you like. Judgy people's opinions say way more about them than it does about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed your first BL drama. Love is love after all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails