Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Day in the Life: March 17, 2016


Last year, Trish from Love, Laughter and a Touch of Insanity hosted a fun blogger connecting event where she encouraged us to record the details of an ordinary day, post about it and then link up.

We loved it! It was a blast to see what everyone's days are like! We couldn't wait to do it again! And now, the day has come! Today is the post and link up day. Check Trish's blog for all the details. If you haven't recorded your day yet, you can still do that and link up soon!

Last time (check out my day from last year here if you missed it) I recorded a work day. (I work three mornings a week at the library.) This time I decided to try a non-work day for you to see what I do when I have the whole day ahead of me to do anything I want! (You'll see that some stuff doesn't change much from last time.) I took notes. I took pictures.

 And so I give you a very typical ordinary day (except for the fact that it was a book club day) in my very typical and ordinary life:

Thursday March 17, 2016

6:30 am: I wake up... before my phone alarm actually goes off. I pry my eyes open and read my phone for messages and notifications and what might be happening in the world. Not much is. But it is St. Patrick's Day!

7:00 am: I roll out of bed and drive my daughter to school without getting out of my pajamas. I always wonder what would happen if some sort of issue arose and I had to face the public. But luckily, today was not that day.

7:30 am: When I get home, I crawl back in bed and promptly fall into a deep sleep. Why is it so easy to sleep at this time of day but so hard at... say... 3:30 am sometimes?

8:15 am: I wake up for the second time and nudge the hubby awake too. While he gets ready for work, I read in bed. I'm not even close to finishing the book for book club happening later this evening, but I plan to give it a shot. However, I'm interrupted many times and the morning's reading session is only mildly successful.

Reading in bed.
9:15 am: I get out of bed with the intention to exercise. But first, my sister texts me and we continue our ongoing Korean obsession discussion that has been nonstop since Jan. 8 when we discovered a music group we can't get enough of.  The topic of this morning's discussion is the fact that one of the boys has announced his departure date for his mandatory two year stint in the Korean military. We mourn the fact that this particular boy will be forever changed by this experience. He is the sweetest most softhearted one of the bunch with the most angelic voice ever. Imagining him surviving boot camp and the stuff that must go on at such a place kills us. Ah. I hope he comes back tougher, stronger, but not truly changed. Sigh.

Ryeowook from Super Junior

9:30 am: I continue on down the stairs where I put on a Zumba DVD and dance my heart out. Oh, before I went down, I made the fatal mistake of stepping on the scale, because I've been doing pretty great for two weeks now with the dancing and the not eating so much. Well, it's no surprise that there was not one bit of change. So I went down with a heavy heart thinking it's all in vain. But still I went. And still I had fun. Despite the fact that it seems to do no good. Sigh.

Zumba with Beto

10:30 am: I return up the stairs all sweaty and disheveled. I eat breakfast and shower and finally actually get ready for the day. I clean the kitchen a little too. I blast music. From here on out, just know that the music is a given and is with me for the rest of the day until the evening. (Most often I'm blasting from this Spotify playlist.)

Breakfast

Music is a constant presence in my day.

11:00 am: I get on the computer! ARGH! I only meant to check a couple of things, and make a shopping list, but I get sucked in.. AGAIN... by the Korean boys. Dang, they are distracting! Well, I manage only 20 minutes of watching a few videos, which actually isn't that bad and I don't lose too much time. At one point I stand up and just had to dance. After all, no one is watching. Then I turn around and see this:

Mika wonders what the heck I'm doing.


11:20 am: I focus and figure out what I want to make for book club this evening and I make a shopping list.

11:45 am: Finally, I'm out the door to the store. Sheesh. It's almost freaking noon! How does this happen?
Grocery store of choice.

12:45 pm: An hour later I'm home with food. I'm exhausted. I unload the groceries and plop in the chair and allow myself about 15 minutes for a breather.

I always underestimate my purchase plans.
I thought the small cart would be just fine this time.
It wasn't.

1:00 pm: Time to get busy. I make treats for book club and potato soup in the crock pot for dinner. One of the book club treats gives me grief and it's a miracle I don't chuck two uncooperative appliances in the garbage. I make a much bigger mess than is necessary, but I still manage to get it all done in an hour.
Potato soup in progress

Avocado spinach dip that didn't want to get
pureed up!

2:00 pm. Time to multitask. The cookies are still baking, so in between batches, I get online and join the weekly family sister chat. For about in hour we chat about life and random things. I can't remember anything worth reporting. At the same time, I'm working on Bloggiesta emails and stuff. I probably wanted to write a blog post, but I don't think I managed it. I feel anxious because I haven't read any more of the book club book. Also, all I want to do about now is curl up with the latest Kdrama I'm watching. Sigh.

My office space has changed and gotten
much more cluttered since the time I posted a picture!

3:45 pm: It's been nearly two hours on the computer now. I'm on call to go pick up the daughter from school. She is staying after for some stuff. At this time, I get the text to come get her. So out the door I go. Did a say yet what a gorgeous day it is outside? Thus, the obligatory mountain picture to prove it:

This view kills me sometimes.


4:15 pm: We are back from the school. There's so much to do still before book club! I gotta get busy! I find a few St. Patrick's Day (and Easter) decorations and switch them out with the Valentine's stuff that's still up. I change the quilt wall hanging. I vacuum a bit and throw out some garbage. I print the list of books that won our vote for books we want to read this upcoming year. I bounce from thing to thing, trying to get it all done. So that I can:

5:00 pm: Crash with the book for just a little bit at least! Now it's time to read and try to fight of sleeping! How do you think I did? I read some. I slept some.

Voting results for book clubs schedule next year.

The Easter tree.

5:45 pm: I realize that the daughter needs to go again to a school thing, and she should eat first. So I  finish what needs to be done to the soup. However, she doesn't eat it and just goes (driving herself this time because there's now a car available.)  The husband comes home and we sit for a moment together and have dinner. In between all this, I fold the laundry that's all over the bed.

I'm such a good folder! LOL!
(And bed maker, obviously.)

Potato soup finished!

6:30 pm: I curl up with the book again. I do a pretty good job this time reading and not sleeping. Still I'm about 100 pages short of the end.

So close and yet so far!

7:15 pm: Ah! I should get the treats and water and other such things ready for book club now!

The book club spread: avocado dip, mint chocolate chip cookies and candy.

Ready for book club!

7:30 pm: Book club starts! We discuss the book Life After Life. Most people thought it was boring and too repetitive and what was the point!!?? I enjoyed what I'd read so far and a couple others thought it was okay. No one seemed to love it. Sad. We discussed the books we plan to read next year and assigned them all a month. We talked about other books we've read this month. It was a great meeting! I'm so happy my sister who lives in the area joined us again! It's been awhile since we've seen her there!

During book club!
Isn't everyone so festively green for St. Patrick's Day?

10:20 pm: Book club is over! I'm tired. I get in bed and finally, I plug myself into the tablet and watch an episode of my current kdrama... My Love From the Stars. Gah. It's getting good. Too bad I can't just keep watching. But my eyes are tired and I do have to work the next day.

Professor Do Min Joon
He's so sad here. He's stopping time in order to not hear
the girl confessing love to someone else.
Because what else do you do? 

12:00 am: I sigh, flip the tablet closed, and curl up to sleep. Another day is over.


49 comments:

  1. Oh! I am exhausted from just reading that... Man! One episode is that all we got in last Thursday? Last week was horrible when it came time for watching! Ugh, yes the lamentation about Ryeowook's enlistment is real! Sweetest kid! It will be so interesting to see what happens! AND our Korean obsession is real, it's a bit ridiculous, but I love it! (P.S. I heard today on the radio that Korean doctors/scientists have come up with a new tech to help manage diabetes that is not so invasive! I may have done Whoop Yeah! shout out to Korea in the car...) My Love From Another Star is almost over... what is going to be next???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always sound so busy! Thanks for always making treats and hosting book club. You're such a trooper. Don't get discouraged with the weight thing. At least you're exercising and having fun! I love that Mika was watching you. My cats always look at me like I'm crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: Usually pretty busy. Some days, not so much.

      Delete
  3. I remember your work post last year at the library. Enjoyed that one. This one way great too. I laughed at your overfull cart. The baked potato soups looked wonderful as did everything else. And you know, weight loss, well, sometimes you just plateau for a while, despite all your efforts. Usually, after a bit, some will kind of drop off unexpectedly. Don't ask me why. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay: Waiting for that drop of unexpectedly! Waiting and waiting and waiting...

      Delete
  4. Haha, my kids sometimes look at me the same way your cat looks at you! ;) For a while, I religiously watched a Korean soap opera every night. I claimed that it might help me learn Korean, hahaha. But then they just took if off the air, and now I will never know whether the hero and heroine will ever get together. Booh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mybookstrings: I bet you can find that show on Viki.com or dramafever.com and then you find out what happened! )

      Delete
  5. I'm getting stressed out just reading about this day!! Heh. I'm sorry the book wasn't better received, though. It's on my to-investigate list right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda: It wasn't too stressful actually! Just busy...

      Delete
  6. I love the dancing! And especially Mike's expression. I love book club days too! I liked this book tho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm finally getting some time to read this and comment. I don't think your day was boring at all. It was fun to read about the things you do on the days you don't have work. Book club was fun that night. I liked all the discussion we had. And, I was proud that so many people wore green that day! I'm glad you had a good day, even though you were exhausted and only watched on episode, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: One episode is the norm for me... unless I manage one in the morning.

      Delete
  8. You always make the best treats for book club! I liked reaading about a "home" day of yours. I take my kid to school in pj's too. And if the day's been really wacky sometimes I still have them on when I pick him up. :) Also this makes me think I really want to watch one of those Kdramas with you and Jenni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy: Thanks! Um... you really do? You will find them awfully cheesy! But they will suck you in anyway!!

      Delete
  9. I was always too nervous to drive the kids to school in my jammies - I was certain I'd be in an accident or someone would stroll up to my car to chat! I LOVED Life After Life - I did it in audio, wonder if that made a difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa: I think at least one person listened to an audio and they were like... eh. It was okay.

      Delete
  10. Fun to see everyone's day! Good for you to be not gaining weight with MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP cookies like those on hand! I also listened to Life after Life on audio after first trying it in print, and it was one of my top favorite audiobooks of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie: Oh, the weight gaining is happening!

      Delete
  11. Book club treats look wonderful! And good for you for exercising even when you're frustrated by the stupid scales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a day! I'm impressed by all the baking, cooking, book club...and exercise, too. Hosting book club is the final star in your crown! LOL.

    I didn't like Life After Life...at all. Maybe parts of it.

    Thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain: It was a crazy fun day that's for sure!

      Delete
  13. You crack me up. Seriously. And sent me down a rabbithole with all of these Korean boys. How did you get started on that anyway? Seems so incredibly random. LOL! I love how much fun you have with yourself and the cart...I do the same but with a basket so that by the time I'm at checkout my basket AND arms are completely full. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Life After Life. I was in the "what's the point" group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish: Glad you got a kick out of this! Yes, it's a definite rabbit hole! I blame my sister.

      Delete
  14. Holy cow! First, I really want one of those cookies! Second, I LOVED Life After Life. Did you keep reading it? Third, Korean Boy Bands?! I'm intrigued but scared of the potential obsession. Haha. Loved reading about your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Utah Mom: Yes, I finished the book. Review to come soon hopefully. And yes, Korean boy bands! Who knew, right? The things there are to discover in this world!!! You should totally click on some links and join the craze. :)

      Delete
  15. I noticed the cute Easter tree when I was leaving book club. I like it. I'm glad I was hidden in that book club picture. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Suey! You make me laugh. I loved reading about your day.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries about driving my kids to school in my PJs. My daughter thinks I'm totally paranoid ("Nobody is going to notice or care what you're wearing, Mom!), but what if I got into an accident or got a flat tire or something? How embarrassing would it be to stand by the roadside in my unwashed, pajamed state? VERY embarrassing!

    Also, that potato soup looks super yummy. Share the recipe?

    Lastly, is this K-pop obsession a Utah thing? I'd never heard of it until I was at Storymakers a couple years ago and a bunch of Utah authors were talking about it. I've never been into boy bands (man bands, sure, but not BOY bands). I was also really embarrassed when I turned up a song on the radio yesterday and my 7-year-old said, "No, Mom, that's Justin Bieber!" Yikes. I think I lost my cool card -- not that I ever had one ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the PM. I think I understand now :)

      Delete
    2. Susan: LOL! Yeah, I just had to make sure you understood we weren't/aren't lusting after teenagers. :)

      Delete
  17. Sounds like you had a busy day. It looks like you accomplished a lot as well. The food looks great and the book club looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy: It was a busy but normal day. I like those kind.

      Delete
  18. I love book club but it's always stressful when it's at my house. I want to try Zumba! I always took our son to school in my pajamas and nothing ever happened, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy: I host it at my house every time! Some stress, but usually not too much. And you should totally try Zumba! So fun!

      Delete
  19. Leaving the house before noon is an accomplishment for me! It sounds like you have a lot of fun with your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha: Many have commented on the fun and it's making me think of my day differently. I love that!

      Delete
  20. I'd love to try zumba, but I ususally use my workout time to watch TV or I get too bored. I would never tire of that gorgeous view! Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacie: Ah! No getting bored with Zumba that's for sure! I love it! And yes, the view doesn't hurt either! :)

      Delete
  21. When the husband used to travel, I would drop him at the airport or pick him up in my pajamas, lol! And I used to wonder the same thing - what if I had to get out of the car?

    Also, Mika's look is priceless! LOL! I love that music is a huge part of your day and that you dance your heart out! I'm a big fan of zumba but it has been years since I have done it. I am waiting for my girl to be a little older so that I can start going back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athira: I would die without music. Seriously.

      Delete
  22. I remember when dressing was not a thing... I learned a valuable lesson on that one day when I was fresh from the shower with my hair everywhere letting the dog in... And the neighbours were there petting him. So, I now get dressed. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly: My neighbors have seen me in a such a state several times!

      Delete
  23. Oh my gosh I cannot believe I've never heard this Korean boy band! You've now got me addicted - I'm listening to your spotify playlist and I can see why you dance so much during the day! I'm dancing while typing this comment to you :-D

    Love that your sister joins in your book club! My daughters and I have a book club {my girls are 22 & 24} and we have always shared books.

    I hate I missed out on participating this year and last but next year....it's on bucket list now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy: Wait, are you into Korean pop music and boy bands? I LOVE that you checked out my list! YES!! They make me so happy! And what's wrong with that, right? :)

      Delete
  24. haha! I wasn't until I listened to your spotify playlist! but today I used it on my walk and actually walked an extra 15 minutes! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a busy/happy/stressful/fun day! I love Zumba!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails