Thursday, February 25, 2016

Book Banter 8: Fluff vs. Morals



We're back! We've been wracking our brains to figure out another thing to banter about, and since Jenny has deemed this adult book month, we wanted one that fit that theme. We've finally come up with this one, though it's a bit of a stretch since we can sympathize with both sides.

But we decided to pick one and argue our points!

And so I give you:

 Book Banter Topic 8: 
Fluffy Books vs. Books With a Point (or Moral)


What Jenny Says:


Reasons I like having a moral to my story. (Which is not to be confused with an agenda.) 

1 I love discussions. I love "arguing" I like to take a side of an "argument" and fighting for it. Thus this lovely Book Banter, Suey and I do. So, when I read a book I like an idea presented. Something to think about and ponder. It doesn't have to be overly deep just a good message. Like a character that learns something about themselves. I like issue-y books. I like books that encourage discussion. If a book is just a fluffy little tale with no real purpose to it except romance or something it's just not as engrossing. 

2 I love finding the "moral" to the story. I have moral in quotes because this can be something different for each reader. When I was young I'd read a book and run and tell my mother all about it. She would always ask me, "what was the author trying to teach you"? So, I guess I sort of learned to always looks for a message. I appreciated my mother teaching me to think deeper about what I was reading and that my answer to her question was never wrong. To this day my mother and I discuss books and their meanings. We'll never agree on The Pearl by Steinbeck. We could argue that one forever! 

3 Reading is an escape for some people. To be honest, though my life is a bit dull sometimes and not always easy but all in all, I have a good life. So for me reading isn't an escape so much as a way to get my brain working. Watching TV can me so mind numbing. Glorious but sometimes I just need to think and discuss. Reading provides an enlightening. My brain needs to be stimulated and without a message or moral or issue...well, it's just reading.  


What Suey Says:

In Defense of Fluff


My part in today’s debate is to argue why fluff and books with no point (though I’m not sure there’s such a thing) or shall I say… books with no obvious message are just as valuable as books with a point and or message.

  1. Escape. People read books for many reasons, and lots of people read books to learn, to understand the world, to figure something out and to gain some insight. But I maintain that one of the biggest reasons to read is to escape real life, to immerse oneself in another world, whether that be a fantasy one or a real one it doesn’t matter, just a world that has no real resemblance to our own. If this reason is valid, then I think that the book doesn’t necessary need a point to it… for the whole point is to read said book and escape.
  2. Brain Candy. Not only do we read sometimes to escape, but we read sometimes to give our brain a rest. If we have to be figuring out the point of the book, or what’s going on, or who’s who, or trying to understand a complicated plot, then our brain is working. Not to say that’s bad, but if you want to rest your brain from all that thinking then a book with no point, or a fluffy book, is just what you’ll be looking for!
  3. Happiness. I like to finish a book with a happy feeling (though yes some of my favorites are definitely not this way) and often the books that have more meaning are the sad, depressing ones. I mean, not always, but often. Does this make sense? And thus, I think those books that simply leave you feeling light and free and happy are worth it too, even if they didn’t leave you with some deep thought about the world.

And there you have it! Did we make you see one or the other of the sides differently? Which camp do you fall in, Camp Fluff or Camp Moral? (Like you can fall into one or the other of them, but I guess the question is, are you just as happy with books that haven't a moral to the story as you are with those that do.) 

5 comments:

  1. Hey! You can't put a cute fluffy kitten on you post. People will side with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That is a cute kitten. But, I would've sided with Suey anyway on this one. Although, I do like morals too ... sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I gravitate toward moral or depth books more than fluffy books, but I can see why they would appeal to a lot of people. I think part of my problem is that I love to see character growth in books and that is sometimes harder to pick up on in a fluffy book. But I can see why they are appealing, especially if you are looking for a break from heavier books or just want an escape from everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both, but I prefer to read to escape. By the time I get home from work, I don't want to think a lot. And, life can be so depressing sometimes that I need that fluff and romance to help me feel happy about something. I'm not saying my life is bad, because it's not. But, sometimes when trials and tribulations are all around you, you just don't want to deal with that stuff in books either (unless is fighting an evil wizard or slaying dragons, etc.) because you have to deal with it in real life. I guess it just depends on my mood. But, I'll usually choose fantasy over contemporary every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more with Suey about fluff being important! Sometimes I just want to read a nice, fluffy story as an escape. My life overall is a good life, but I'd rather read a HEA romance than watch mind-numbing TV!

    Love your description of Brain Candy! Going to have to remember that one! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails