Sunday, February 7, 2016

Movie Review: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Movie: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Genre: Horror/Drama
Starring: Lily James, Sam Riley, Matt Smith
Rating: PG 13
My Rating: Two thumbs up

Yeah, so I refused to read the zombie distortion of this, one of my favorite books, but I guess when it comes to the movie, my qualms are lessened! When I saw this movie trailer I giggled and thought... that looks kinda fun. Maybe I'll go. So we were bored Friday, its opening night, and we went.

And we giggled, lauged, smiled and jumped out of our skin through the whole thing!

Actually, upon reazlizing that Matt Smith (aka the 11th Doctor Who) would be paying the part of Mr. Collins, I knew I'd go just for him. And yes, he was definitely worth it and lived up to expectations. So funny! What a great take on the character! And in fact, I pretty much thought Elizabeth should have accepted his offer this time around! Yes!

As for the movie itself, I'm guessing it follows the zombie version of this book pretty good. We have all the familiar characters living in an alternate Victorian world, one where the plauge has caused zombies. And so, many people, our girls and Mr. Darcy included, have been trained to fight them. Which is awesome.
Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley

The story follows the familiar bits until it comes to Mr. Wickham and then things change up quite a bit to have a dramatic zombie crazy ending.

The Mr. Darcy in this movie wasn't my favorite...but he grew on me. I loved Lily James (aka Rose from Downton Abbey) as Elizabeth. And of course... Matt Smith!

Mr. Collins

My favorite part by far (besides the Mr. Collins scenes) was Darcy's first proposal and Elizabeth confronts him and they get into knock down drag out sword fight. It. Was. Awesome.  And first he pins her, and then she pins him and the sparks are flying. So funny!

Mr. Wickham

Many many parts made us all giggle like crazy in fact. Especially some fabulous nods to the Colin Firth movie. You may guess the scene!

All in all I really don't know how to describe this movie. It was much more fun than I expected and I'm so glad I decided to swallow my P and P snobbishness and just go and enjoy the romp. The zombie bits are not at all gory, the girls fight them without getting a drop on their dresses. I'm used to The Walking Dead, so this was literally nothing compared to that. There were some moments that made us all in the audience jump and squeal, which we loved.

Bottom Line: Way too much fun!

P.S. Stay until after the first bit of credits because then there's one more scene and, you guessed it, IT'S AWESOME! :)

Here's the trailer:


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you went and enjoyed it. I still can't get over my pride I guess, cause I just don't want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to see this. But, I do want to read the book first. I just need to read. It's like I can't sit down and read. It's so evil. Oh well. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know Lily James was in this! I want to see this, but I'm with Jenni. I want to read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know I was very hesitant to see it because I feared it was going to be making fun of Pride and Prejudice. But I did end up seeing it and I agree it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED IT!! I may have even watched it twice... :) Lily as Lizzy is just delightful and Sam as Darcy had to grow on me the first time I watched it. But I liked him ever so much by the second viewing! And YES, yes, yes. That first proposal scene with Darcy and Lizzy? So AWESOME!! Also, Matt as Mr. Collins is perfection.

    Seriously, I could gush about this movie for a long time! But I'll spare you. :) Suffice it to say that I plan on adding the dvd to my collection!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails