Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review: Red Glove by Holly Black

Book: Red Glove by Holly Black
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Rating: A-
For: Fun
From: borrowed from Jenny

This is the second book in what's known as the Curse Workers series. The first book, White Cat, I really enjoyed because of it's uniqueness and many twisty moments.  This book continues the story with more crazy things happening for our hero Cassel, who just really wants to be a normal high school senior.

But that's not going to happen because his mom, now out of jail, continues to cause havoc on his life by insisting on working rich men (with emotion) and stealing from them. Then suddenly, his brother is found dead and the only clue they have is a vague piece of surveillance tape that shows a women wearing red gloves. Cassel is being pulled first by the FBI dudes that want him to help solve the mystery, and then by the mafia dudes that want him to be part of their crime ring. If he turns either one of them down, life will be even more messy.

Meanwhile, there's Lila, who he really likes, but he doesn't want to because she has been worked (by his mom again) to love him, and so he knows it's not real and that really messes with him! Poor Cassel! There really is no way for things to be normal for him!

While I enjoyed the continuation of this story, I didn't enjoy it near as much as the first book, mostly because all those cool things have already been revealed. This one was more a straight forward mystery (who killed the brother) and what should Cassel do? So it didn't grab me as much.

However, I really do enjoy this character. Cassel is an intriguing boy. It's a blast to be inside his confused little head. I love it. This is for sure what drives the story for me and I will be anxious for more of him.

Bottom line: I enjoyed this one.

Other Reviews:

Madigan Reads
One Librarian's Book Reviews
Alternate Readality (a Cassel Character Connection post)
Skunk Cat Book Reviews



3 comments:

  1. I didn't like this one as much as the first either but I adore Cassel and mysteries don't bother me. I don't know how I didn't see who the woman in the red gloves was. *rolls eyes* Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you mostly enjoyed this. I have it from the library but haven't had a chance to read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This only fuels my desire for the third book. Bring it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails