Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Review: White Cat by Holly Black

Book: White Cat by Holly Black
Genre: YA SF
Rating: A
For: Fun
From: It was a gift!

This is a book I've just recently been hearing lots about (just opposite of what I was saying about Wake yesterday, which I've been hearing about forever.) And for once, I've been able to read it soon afterwards instead of waiting and waiting for a chance to get to it!

This book is the first of a series called The Curse Workers. It's about a society where many people have an ability to manipulate other people simply by touching them (through dreams, memories, emotions, etc.) This "curse work" has been outlawed and therefore, to help prevent the working of curses, everyone must wear gloves. (I'm still not sure how this particular law is enforced though.) Of course, there are those who disregard the law and insist on keeping up the practice which creates a whole new meaning to the mafia/con world.

We meet our main guy as he is just waking up from sleepwalking on the roof of his dorm. Cassel, as he is called (and a name that quite grew on me I must say) comes from a family of curse workers, yet he himself has no power of his own. This whole sleepwalking thing is quite suspicious to him and he wonders what's really going on. Is someone "working" him? And if so, why? And who?

Because of this particular incident, he is given a sort of leave of absence from school and he uses that week or so to begin solving this mystery, which appears to have a lot to do with his family and what they are really up to. And it may also have something to do with another terrible incident that happened in Cassel's past.... one that haunts his life relentlessly.

And what's up with the white cat? Well, you'll have to read it to find that out!

I really enjoyed this unique take on the whole paranormal/magic thing. I also enjoyed hearing the story from the guy's point of view. We need more of those out there! It's a fast-paced story, filled with several plot twists that for the most part I didn't see coming. I love it when that happens. Those, wait, what? moments! Great stuff.

Years ago I read Tithe by Holly Black and was not impressed at all. She redeemed herself for me with this one. It was much much more enjoyable.

Bottom line: I really liked it a lot!

Other reviews:

The Page Flipper
I'd So Rather be Reading
You've GOTTA Read This
Stella Matutina

More information about author Holly Black.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about, Tithe, I was hesitant to read this one but it did redeem! Can't wait for the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like one I might have to borrow at some point in time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails