Thursday, December 2, 2010

Review: Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Book: Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld
Genre: YA, Steampunk
Rating: B+
For: Fun
From: I bought it, yep.

I'm really enjoying this series about an alternate WWI. This book continues the adventures of Alek and Deryn as they get themselves mixed up in all sorts of trouble surrounding the political intrigue of this war. As was established in the first book, Leviathan, Alek is a "clanker" meaning he relies machines. Deryn, however, is a Darwinist, meaning she mostly believes in the "beasties" that have been created to do the work of machines. It's all very fascinating stuff really, especially the beastie stuff.

Anyway, Deryn now knows all of Alek's secrets, but he does NOT know hers. This bugged me. I was really disappointed the big reveal did not happen yet. Dang, is that a spoiler? But yeah, hello. I think it's time he knows!!

For the most part, I really enjoyed this second book. It had moments were it dragged a bit for me. My eyes have a tendency to glaze over at all the machine descriptions. It's a good thing there are pictures, or else I really wouldn't be able to get it. Love the pictures! Deryn is an awesome character. Spunk to the nines. And at the end, there's a beastie to fall in love with even. That thingh as a sense of humor like you wouldn't believe. It's really quite a hoot and I look forward to the next book just to see what happens with it and how it fits into to the overall scheme of things. Oh, and to see how Alek takes the big secret and all. Maybe even to see how this particular WWI ends.

Bottom line: I liked it quite a lot.

Other Reviews:

One Librarian's Book Reviews
Bart's Bookshelf
The Zen Leaf
Piling On the Books
Fyrefly's Book Blog

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if that other girl guessed the secret. It seems as if she might have, despite her actions... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this the other day and can't wait to read it. Maybe hubbby won't care if I sneak a peak before Christmas. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the other girl (I've already forgotten her name) did guess the secret, but maybe only *after* her actions.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you mean, he doesn't know yet?!... I didn't care for the first book, but I am hoping to give it a second chance by reading behemoth.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails