Friday, December 31, 2010

Three More Mini Reviews

Book: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney
Genre: MG
Rating: A-
For: Fun
From: Christmas present (Toto's!)

A fast, fun quick read as expected, but sadly, I didn't laugh out loud near as much as I did with the previous books. I think there was more potty type humor in this one, which isn't funny to me, and less of the "Oh My Gosh, that's soooo right!!!" stuff. But it's still fun to see what Greg is up to now and all the craziness he gets himself into, silly boy.

Bottom line: It was fun.

Book: The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
Genre: Literary Fiction
Rating: A-
For: Fun
From: I have no idea it's been so long! Some used book sale somewhere I bet

This one is about girl and her family, and the street they live on. Very short little chapters which show us the observations this girl has about all her neighbors. Interesting, cool writing which I really quite enjoyed.

Bottom line: I enjoyed it a lot.

Book: Savvy by Ingrid Law
Genre: MG Fantasy
Rating: A
For: Fun
From: Bought at the book fair.

I've been wanting to read this one for quite awhile now it seems, so it feels good to have finally fit it in. And once again, it was just as fun as everyone said it would be. It's the story about Mibs and her family, and how they get a savvy or special power/talent when they turn13 years old. Mibs is about to have her birthday and can't wait to see what her savvy is. Meanwhile, her dad gets in an accident, and all she wants is to get to him to hopefully help him. That takes her, and her friends, on quite the wild ride. I LOVED the writing style, loved it.

Bottom line: Hmm..... LOVED it! :)

6 comments:

  1. The House on Mango Street is one of those books I need to read at some point so I am glad to see you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Savvy as well. The sequel is out and I plan to read it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saavy sounds fun! I see you are getting those last books read by the end of the year...;)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Happy New Year's Eve of books...and they all sound fantastic. My students love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. As a matter of fact I just bought another copy to put in our class library with a gift card one of my students gave me....of course I bought some for me too!!

    I thought of you when I went to chaperone a Young Adult Party on New Year's Eve. It was at a local Gameworks and I found a 'quieter' corner and read my book for a lot of the evening!! It was certainly loud but I loved the get-away that the book offered. A lot of the young adults came over to see what I was really doing. Too fun!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your mini-reviews. I have Saavy, I need to read it. My daughter, EJ, and I saw Ingrid Lawson a few months before Scumble was released...she was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Savvy! You should read the sequel, Scumble, now... :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails