Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Christmas Report

Wow, what a Christmas it's been! First of all, we had a busy Christmas Eve preparing for our family to be at our house for the evening's celebrations. It was crazy and hectic, but fun.

Then yesterday we had a bit of the morning to ourselves, opening presents. The second that was done, we got a call from our son who is serving an LDS mission in Ohio, so we talked to him for an hour. Ah man, it was AWESOME to hear his laugh! Can't wait to see him again in five months!

Then about 1/2 hour after that, my parents, grandparents and a couple of siblings arrived for brunch. That was yummy. They hung out for awhile, watched Toy Story 3 and then went on to another sister's house. The grandparents stayed here since that sister had chicken pox at her house.

Meanwhile, the in laws arrived for more present exchanging and then it was dinner time. The grandparents said, "But didn't we just barely eat??? I'm so not hungry!" (It had actually been about six hours since brunch by then!)

Once that was over, the in laws went out one door, the parents came in the other to retrieve the grandparents, and they were on their way. By that time it was 8:00 p.m.! Whew! What a day!

And finally I had time to sit down and play with my new laptop! Yes, my very very own computer! It's the strangest concept and will take me awhile to get used to the idea! I'm so excited!

Of course, then there are the books. Wow, there's a bunch of new books that I'm very much looking forward to reading. Here's a stack picture of all the books the whole family received:

And here's the closer up view so you can actually see what they are so I don't have to type them all in!


A special thanks to Angie from Texas for the Calpurnia Tate book and The Memory Bank! I will love them! And if you visit here, please comment with a link to your blog so I can come visit you! :)

As for the actual reading I've been doing towards my lofty goal? Yes, I've managed to finish a couple. The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren by Wendy Toliver. Fun, but the very definition of fluffy. The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt and yes you guys were right, it was wonderful. And now I'm in the middle of The Chosen Ones by Carol Lynch Williams which is quite gut wrenching.

And now, how am I supposed to pick from the above stack what to read next? I'm in a very big overwhelmed state here!

How about you? Did you have a wonderful weekend with your families? Are you now overwhelmed with new books to read? Are you finding time to enjoy and relax, or does the fast pace never seem to let up?

13 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your stack of new books. I never get new books - my husband thinks our house is packed full of books already (he is right!), and I think other people are never sure of what I have read or already own. Of course I still gives books as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. I meant to comment with the perfect kiss post (I <3 Some Kind of Wonderful) but then got sidetracked.

    I hope you like them!

    I've been sort of a slacker blogger. But that's one of my new year's resolutions. At the very least link my Goodreads to my blog. At the very best actually post more interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an impressive stack of books! I found a copy of Monsters of Men under my tree, too. :)

    I wish I had a little more time to enjoy my Christmas plunder, but it's back to work tomorrow. :/

    Good luck choosing what to read next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great haul of books you have there, looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts.
    Sounds like a fabulous, family filled Christmas.
    We just finished watching TS3. I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch it without bawling at the end. I was just sobbing again.
    Today is a great day - we do absolutely nothing, unless you want to. Graze around the tree food, read, play on the computer or new gaming systems. We ordered pizza for supper. Fabulous.

    Merry Christmas Suey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun with family is what Christmas is all about :)

    I am so impressed with the stack of books. I think it is wonderful that you are a family of readers.

    And the laptop?! You will become used to it in absolutely no time. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, if you could only see me drooling. Well, maybe not. It is not a pretty sight!! I will just try lusting after your books instead.

    I pondered over the Laura Hillenbrand book for a long time this holiday season and Cutting for Stone is by my bedside right now!! We have a lot of books to be thankful for!

    I loved it that you got to talk to your missionary son. What a choice experience. When one of our sons was in Germany it cost as over $150 for a half hour conversation but it was worth every penny. I hope your spirit feels satisfied and happy.

    Your Christmas sounded as family-packed as ours. It was great....

    Enjoy a day of peace (and reading!)
    PS...be careful not to delete anything important on your new toy (I mean laptop!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's a ton of books! Have fun reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous of all of those new books! My dad got 8 new books but for some reason everyone in my family thought I already had enough books. How unfair is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tina: Yeah, our house is packed too, but that's not stopping us yet! :)

    Ms. O: Yeah! Thanks for the comment! I look forward to keeping up with your blog this new year. And thanks so much for the books!

    Megan: I haven't had much time to enjoy either. But maybe these next three days... I'm hoping anyway!

    Raidergirl: Yes, I bawled again! I think it's especially hard to watch since my kids are all growing up and leaving home... or trying to anyway! Ugh. Not fun.

    Molly: It is fun! Both the family of readers AND the laptop!

    Inside: Wow wow wow on the cost of a phone call to Germany. I guess that really was like it's own present...

    Amanda: Fun stack, right? I'm excited!

    Lisa: SO unfair! Go out and get some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic that you have your own laptop. I think you will like the freedom of not having to share! Hope you have been able to familiarize yourself a bit with it over the last week. Your Christmas certainly sounds like a lot of packed in fun! I am glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic that you have your own laptop. I think you will like the freedom of not having to share! Hope you have been able to familiarize yourself a bit with it over the last week. Your Christmas certainly sounds like a lot of packed in fun! I am glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! You really made out like a bandit with all those books AND a new laptop!!! And now, I'm really curious with what book you decided to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ibeeeg: So far, I'm loving it like crazy.

    Tif: So from this pile you see here, I've now read Wimpy Kid and Incarceron... and Incarceron made it to my top ten list. That seems to happen a lot... that one of the last books I'll read in a year will end up as one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails