Monday, December 13, 2010

A Look Back on My Reading Experiences from 2010

Here's something I saw over at Persnickety Snark's the other day. I think she was thinking only YA when she did her survey... and perhaps she was thinking only books from 2010. But I wanted to ponder all my reading from the year 2010 (not just newly released books, and not any particular genre) and fill it out accordingly.

Best Book: I can't pick just one best book, and so you'll just have to stay tuned for a later post when I do my top ten of the year!

Worst Book: I don't do worst books. But a couple of books I started but didn't finish were: The Demon's Lexicon and City of Bones.... and I think I need to try again on these two!


Most Disappointing Book: Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel, this wasn't even close to the awesomeness that was Life of Pi

Most Surprising Book: Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, I avoided it for years because I thought I would hate it, and guess what, I didn't.

The Book Most Recommended to Others: The Book Thief, The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games

Best Series Discovered: The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner and The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Favorite New Authors Discovered: Neal Shusterman, Michael Perry, Justin Cronin, Megan Whalen Turner, Becca Wilhite, Ally Condie, Sydney Salter (not necessary new authors, but new to me this year)

Most Hilarious Read: Coop by Michael Perry (I would also say most thought provoking)

Most Thrilling, Unputdownable Book: The Passage by Justin Cronin

Most Anticipated Book: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Favorite Cover: oh man there's too many....I loved the covers of Warbreaker, The Queen's Thief, Rules of Attraction, The Replacement, Matched, Bright Blue Miracle... just to name a few

Most Memorable Character: Perrin from The Wheel of Time, Antsy from The Schwa, and of course Gen from the Queen's Thief

Most Beautifully-Written Book: North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Book That Had the Greatest Impact On You: The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell, wow it's powerful

Book you Can't Believe you Waited Until 2010 to Read: Bleak House by Charles Dickens

New Favorite Book Blog You Discovered: Polishing Mud Balls by Ibeeeg (Deanna)

Favorite Review You Wrote: The Passage by Justin Cronin

Best Discussion on Your Blog: True or False: 90% of Everything is Crap!

Most Thought-Provoking Review or Discussion on Another Blog: oh man, I can't think of specific ones at the moment. But there's always some great discussions going on over at The Zen Leaf (now I'm remembering she created quite a discussion when she talked about some books she hasn't read, remember that one?) and at Age 30+... and at Angieville's.  ... just to name a few.

Best Book Event You Participated in During 2010: Probably the most recent Teen Festival at the Provo Library where Scott Westerfeld came, but I really especially love our Utah blogger get togethers too.

Best Moment of Book Blogging in 2010: When all the people who couldn't go to BEA rallied together and created the first ever Armchair BEA blogging event. That was fun!

Best Bookish Discovery of 2010:  This year, I discovered that I really love read a longs and buddy reads. Anyone want to read something with me next year? Let's do it!

How about you? What books (or blog posts) would you plug into these categories?

7 comments:

  1. This is a fun summary. Sounds like you read some great books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I honestly didn't mean to cause any discussion with that list - it just sort of happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great summary! I have recommended The Hunger Games and The Book Thief a lot too - sounds as though I should read Maze Runner.

    I think Beatrice and Virgil was my most disappointing book too. :-(

    I'm sure I'll love The Sparrow - I need to make an effort to read it in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You couldn't finish CITY OF BONES? I think I read it in ONE day! I also really liked THE PASSAGE - definitely unputdownable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you joined us for The Sparrow read-along, and for Armchair BEA! That will be back in 2011, BTW, even though some of its founders are planning to go to the "real" BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Demon's Lexicon, and I did finish it, but I forced myself to finish it. Actually, this is one of the very, very few books that I actually went and read the last chapter half way through the book...that is the only reason why I read the rest. still...many people loved this book just not me.
    I cannot find the love for Eat Pray Love...I made it through Italy...loved it, but once I got to India (I think that was the second country) I pittered out..I just could not handle all the self power stuff in that section. Many people tell me that I should pick up and finish because the next country is much better. I think I may one day.
    I have The Maze Runner based on your review, and talk. I am hoping to get to it soon.
    I agree with you on both accounts for the best series discovered but I would also add in A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. You should read that one some day.
    I have Coop on my bookshelf....need to read it.
    I hear mixed things about The Passage, but knowing that you throught it be unputdownable...I should read it.
    The Warbreaker cover is very cool. Have you seen the youtube video showing how the artist created the cover? If not, here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqjWP18hPHE
    Memorable Character...Perrin for sure, but Rand is creeping up there. Gen...I agree. I have a few others.
    The Sparrow... powerful you say...I need to put it on my list if it is not there already (My list is sooo long)
    Ahhh...Suey...you are too kind. Thanks so much. I am incredibly glad that I stumbled upon your blog...I am incredibly thankful for the friendship that we have struck. I look forward to 2011...reading your posts, and just plain old chatting with you.
    I am going to check out your links to favorite review, and best discussion..I am very curious.
    Age 30+ and Angieville's are great blogs...I love reading their posts.
    You have had some great book events this past year...how could you really choose. ;)
    I would love to go to BEA sometime, but that will not happen for a long time. I remember the armchair BEA, but did not participate.
    Read alongs are great fun, but I discovered that I am not a great participaant even though I am reading the book. I love buddy reads...love them. You have been great in helping
    me get through WoT...look forward to lking about Fires with you.

    This was a fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will once again not be going to BEA, so will be back for Armchair BEA!! That one came out of the blue for me and I absolutely loved it!! Can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails