Monday, August 11, 2008

Review: The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger


Book: The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Genre: Classic (sort of a recent classic I'd say)

Rating: A

Because my oldest son says this is his favorite book, and because John Green's been talking about it lately, and because it can count for the Classics Challenge (I hope, even though it wasn't on my original list).... I decided to go ahead and finally read this book once and for all!

What a strange little book this is! So, it's simply about this kid, Holden Caulfield, who decides to leave his boarding school a bit early because he's getting kicked out anyway. Then, he goes off on this "adventure" of sorts, wandering around New York City because he doesn't want to go home and face his parents with the news.

Meanwhile, he slowly goes a bit mad. All I could think during the whole book was, could someone please go and be a friend to this kid!! Please! He needed someone so bad. I wanted to give him a hug or something and tell him he's okay and things will be alright. Seriously. He needed a real hug big time.

Anyway, nothing really happens except he makes himself crazy wandering around and thinking crazy things about everything and everyone around him. Then it just ends! We assume, since it's all a flashback, that he manages to "fix" himself somehow... but still. Quite the abrupt ending I thought.

Anyway, even though it has rough language. (Holden needs a little clean up there too I'm afraid), I loved it. I don't know why. Like I said, it's a strange little book. But I loved it anyway. So glad to finally know what all the fuss is about regarding The Catcher in the Rye.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean you when you say you love and don't know why. A little part me also dislikes it too because I have so many similar traits with Holden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I love it and I'm not quite sure I can put a finger on why. Maybe because it feels so real to me. I remember teen angst well enough. Mine wasn't quite as bad as Holden's, though. There were plenty of fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Book Ever. Holden is quite a character :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails