Monday, June 10, 2013

Book Review: Insomnia by J.R. Johansson

Book: Insomnia by J.R. Johansson
Genre: YA Science Fiction-ish
Rating:★★★★☆
For: Review (and supporting local authors!)
From: NetGalley

Wow, this book started out fairly normal and ended up CRAZY!

So there's this kid who can't seem to sleep because when he closes his eyes to sleep, he is thrust into the dream of whoever he made eye contact with last that particular day. And when he is in their dream, he experiences it with them, and doesn't sleep himself. He begins to worry that he's going to go crazy and lose his mind, and even die.

Then one day he happens to look at a new girl at school and that night, he is part of her very peaceful dream and he is able to curl up and sleep for himself! He feels saved!

Of course he becomes obsessed with this girl and it freaks her out. She is dealing with a mass of her own issues. And things just get worse and worse. Suddenly, this kid (his name is Parker) is being accused of some pretty terrible things. And suddenly the dreams of this girl change, and he's in them, as the bad guy.

Now he's freaked out too!

It becomes his mission to track down who this bad guy really is. And could it even truly be him?

Oh. My. Word. This one messes with your mind! It really does get pretty crazy and intense there at the end with all the uncertainty and the discoveries and the strange goings on.

It may even give you your own case of insomnia! It did me! So beware!

This book is the first of a series and while this particular story had a conclusion, it ended with that feeling of "oh my, seriously?" with lots more story to tell. I look forward to more.

Bottom line: I totally enjoyed this one. Fun crazy stuff here. It's awesome.

Other Reviews:

Insomnia is definitely creepy, but I loved it. From City of Books

It was entertaining and had me on the edge of my seat quite a few times. From Owl Tell You About It

The plot really kept me guessing and had good twists throughout. From Dark Faerie Tales

Shivers, you guys, shivers. I haven't been this tense over a book in a long time. From Bookshelvers Anonymous

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds crazy (but in a good way)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to think long and hard about reading this one...there is not much I love more than a good nights sleep and ramping up the intensity may just set me right over the edge!! BUT, you tempt me. This sounds like it might be the perfect answer for a friend I know that loves this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit that I read this book while having my own bout of insomnia, and this didn't help at all! I kept reading, and periodically I'd just have to stop and say to Brent, "This book is creepy!" Overall, I really enjoyed it, and I think it's a promising kick-off to what could be a really interesting series.

    Did you know J.R. Johansson is coming to the Provo Library on July 9? You should totally come if you're, you know, in the country or whatever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails