Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Book: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Genre: YA SF
Rating: A
For: Fun

I've been hearing a lot about this book lately. And when one review said "Go buy it now! Run!" I thought wow, can it be that good?

So, we got it for Christmas and I decided why wait and picked it up that very evening and started it. For the next day and a half, in between all the various family activities and dinners and events that were happening I read, and when I wasn't reading, I was thinking about it and these amazing characters. So my answer is yes... it's really that good.

This is a story set in the future of the US after some terrible event (a war I think it was) has caused the whole of North America to regroup. In this new government, The Capitol rules everyone else, which includes 12 districts. Every year, each district has to send a boy and a girl, between the ages 12 to 18, to the Hunger Games. They are picked lottery-style with much fanfare and "celebration."

The Hunger Games themselves are a Survivor-type reality show, a game where every move and happening is televised. However, in these games, the kids fight to the death. The last one standing is declared the victor and wins a life of ease for him or her and their family.

This is about how our heroine is affected by the games, how she is torn between too different boys, how she struggles to help her mom and sister, how she is forced to make some gut wrenching decisions, and how she fights her heart out.

It's a gripping and emotional story. I was glued. I loved it. I couldn't believe it when I got to the end and it said, "End of Volume One" right when things were getting even more complicated! I didn't know it was the first of a series! And so begins the wait for the next book and once again, I'm hooked on yet another trilogy ( I think it is.)

If you come across this book, push everything else to the bottom and read it now.

Other Reviews:

Let me know if I've missed you and you'd like to be added!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't read your complete review in case there were any spoilers -- but I too received this for Christmas, and am looking forward to reading it! I have heard great things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my neighbors was telling me about this book (series) and she's so reserved in her opinion that I looked to your review to find out just how good it is. Now that I know I must run out and buy and read it immediately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished this today. I LOVED IT! I can't believe I have to wait for the next book now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started this book New years Eve and read till 2am. Finished it the next day when my kids were napping (I should have been napping too). Loved it. I tell everyone about it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails