Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Book Review Thoughts: Finding Audrey by Sopie Kinsella

Book: Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
Genre: YA contemporary
Rating:★ ★ ★ ★ ☆


Well, this book was pretty much just what I needed. So easy to read and get into and love straight from the start. The subject matter, about a girl with serious social anxiety and depression, wasn't that fun, but the way it was handled was pretty good.

So this girl, Audrey of course, had something traumatic happen to her in the short time before the book opens. We never even learn what this event is because it doesn't matter.... what matters is how Audrey is handling her issue and is she getting better.

Thanks to the help of her brother's video playing friend, she does start to come out a bit. Meaning, finally getting out of the house and talking to people other than her family. She is so happy and thinks she is all cured!

But really, she has just started the process. In jumping the gun, she has a bit of set back. But with her loving family and this nice sweet boy behind her, she pulls through yet again.

I loved what this book has to say about recovering from mental health issues... that it's like a jagged graph... up and and down, then up some more than down some more. That that really, for all us, mental health issues or not (and don't we all have mental health issues?) this is what life it like, and all we can do is keep trying and keep plugging along.

It's a very happy upbeat book really. And I loved that.

Plus, it was a breeze to read. Like zero brain power or focusing abilities needed!

P.S. And is it just me or are all books mentioning Korean culture somehow these days?? Yep... this one too! The video game that the brother is addicted too? KOREAN!! :) Yeah... even authors these days have caught the wave. I'm telling you. It's a thing and not just me!

Bottom Line: Good one!

Other Reviews:

I adored the crazy, wonderful, fleshed out characters in this book. It was a small cast so you could easily connect to the characters and get to know each of them. From Alternate Readaity


I’ve never read Sophie Kinsella before but if all her books are this charming and funny, I will have to give more of them a shot From Good Books and Good Wine

This is a delightful and heartwarming story, portraying a difficult coming-of-age theme with humor and compassion
From Rhapsody in Books

in some ways this book was younger and and a bit more cute than I prefer, but I enjoyed it. From YA Romantics



5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it. I still haven't started it. O.O I need to, though, because I think I'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've wanted to read it for months. Hopefully, I'll like it just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! I knew this one would be a breeze for you. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Jenny have convinced me -- I need to move this one up on the TBR pile. It sounds like a great light book to sandwich between the dark, gritty mystery/thrillers I've been reading lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't started yet :( I finally got it from the library though. Loved your review! It gives me hope. I really need a book like this right now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails