Saturday, May 16, 2015

Dune Read Along Part Three Discussion



Well. We did it! Dune is done! The discussion questions for part three are over at Kami's blog.

Don't forget our chat tonight at 9 pm MDT. (It'll be a miracle if I get this posted before that time! Update: I didn't.)

Book club is this Thursday at 7:30 p.m. MDT. We'll (mostly Jenni) tweet the discussion for those interested. (It'll be a miracle if anyone else besides Kami, Jenni, Jenny and I read it! But we'll see!)

And we'll watch the mini series on either Friday or Saturday May 29 or 30. Leaning toward Friday right now. (Sorry, my schedule is messy at the moment!)

But now... here are my answers.


1. What are your overall thoughts? Did you like it?

Well, I liked parts. And the premise and world is really fun and interesting. But I really really disliked ( I hate to use the word hate, but I'm nearly there with this one) the writing style. I've just been to a writing conference all weekend and Frank Herbert pretty much does everything we are taught (at least nowadays) NOT to do. But back then in the olden days, maybe no one cared.


2. Do you think you could ride a giant worm?

No. Mostly likely not. But it might be fun to try!


3. Paul's relationship with his mom, Jessica, dramatically changed and evolved over the course of the book. How did their relationship change and why do you think it did?

Paul became The Dude (oh, I mean DUKE.. and that other thing) and now he's the big wig and seems to look down on his mom. Yeah, that bugged me. I think they should work out how to be partners in crime.

4. What do you think about Paul's lack of emotion?

Well, he did cry at that one guy (Jamis?) funeral, which pretty much freaked everyone out. And I did seem to catch some emotion with regard to Chani, but I longed so much to see more. So so much more. I think he figured that because he was now The Dude, he shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't show any emotion. But I think it would make him a better leader if he did.

5. Now that I've finished, I feel like I'd pick up on a lot more of the details and things if I read it again. Do you think you'll reread Dune? If this is a reread, did you catch different things this time around?

No. I think this'll be it for me.

6. How do you feel about the political arrangement at the end? Do you feel bad for Princess Irulan or Chani?

I do feel bad for both of them. Awful arrangement. Terrible. Crazy. Sad. All of it.

7. Will you read the rest of the series?

No no and no. I have too many other things I'd so much rather read! I am happy that I re-read this though and have remembered all the things.

8. Favorite character and why?
No one really stood out to me as someone I totally loved and/or connected to. I felt much lacking with the character development. Stilgar was cool. Chani was interesting. The Baron was disgusting.

9. What did you think about the quotes at the beginning of each chapter? Did you read them? Were they interesting? Were they helpful?
I did read them. I actually quite liked them and thought that those things would almost make a better book. I liked that it gave us insight into Princess Irulan's character just a touch.

10. Did you have fun during the Read Along? Was there anything we could have done better? Would you have read this book if you hadn't joined?

Read alongs are always fun! Thanks to all who joined in with us! What should we do next???! :)

5 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you reread it just to remember what it was like. I'm sorry it was so miserable for you. Thanks for being a good sport anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: Oh, I wouldn't say miserable at all! I just didn't love it, and I wanted to. :(

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I read it too but I don't think I'd read it again or carry on with the series. Book Club discussion should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a reread for you? I didn't know that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so fun to read this with all of you! I know I wouldn't have enjoyed it half so much were I reading on my own. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I'd've stopped reading it altogether.) I will be on the lookout to hear what everyone else in your book club thought! Everyone's different responses in these discussions have been so interesting. Makes me curious what the others in your group thought. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails