Thursday, May 28, 2015

Armchair BEA 2015: Visual Expressions and Social Media



More fun with ArmchairBEA today! Check out the main headquarters here to find out all about it.


Storytelling

I love the art of storytelling. And I feel it comes in many forms. Books of course. And other visual forms like graphic novels and picture books and such. Poems yes. And actually storytelling too, you know, like when people get up and TELL a story. But I also think that almost all other forms of media tell stories. What are movies if not stories? And TV shows. If said it many times here that I think book lovers and avid readers are usually also pretty fond of TV and movies. Why? Because of the stories and the characters. It's the same, just experiencing it in a different way. Also, music. Do you think music tells a story? Either music with lyrics or music without? I think so. I think it totally does.  What about art? The Mona Lisa? How many stories have people told about her over the years? And photography? Oh my word. For sure!

I think I could go on and on with all the different visuals and mediums of media that tell a story. But the above are my favorite ones. And here's a visual to visualize the visual (and I guess I should say audio too!) mediums of stories!



Social Media

Now... switching topics! Social media! I love it. It's just way too much fun. I do tend give the new thing time and tend not to jump on board until something has been proven. It took me years to start blogging after I first thought about doing it. I watched the formation of Twitter and Facebook for a long time before jumping on board. Instagram I was a little more quick to join. Pinterest took me awhile too. Anyway, I use them all for different things:

Facebook is mostly for IRL people, friends in the neighborhood and family. Though several book bloggers have managed to be added to my friends list! I tend to keep my blogging and bookish life completely separate from Facebook. Anyway, Facebook makes me crazy most of the time these days and I find it more a place were people like and share random things and clutter up your feed with lots and lots of junk.

Twitter is mostly for following bookish and writing type people. And celebrities of course! I love Twitter, though it took me awhile to get the hang of it. Now, I'm not sure how we lived without it. Twitter is definitely my place to get news and see what's happening in the world.

Instagram seems to be a bit of a crossover. Some family, some friends and lots of bloggers and authors and a smattering of celebrities. I tend to enjoy sharing pictures here over Facebook, though I always cross post to Twitter. Sometimes I'll stick one on Facebook too, but not often. I love using Instagram and have been begging people to join lately.

Pinterest is a strange little thing. I have the weirdest random people following me there, How do they find me!? But this one seems to be more for an individual thing and not a connection thing. Rarely does someone comment or suggest or talk about something. We are just pinning away and maybe sometimes we'll repin each others stuff, but mostly not. Am I right? Pinterest is a place for ideas and looking at pretty pictures!

YouTube is fun too, but I don't connect with anyone there, even though I have a channel and post movies now and then. I don't feel the urge to joint the BookTube community, which looks like a fun place. But YouTube seems to be more a place to just watch stuff others do and have fun. It's like another TV channel now which is really quite amazing.

Goodreads is another fun place, and there's a little more connection going on there for me than some of the others. But still not a whole lot. Some likes now and then, some comments. I wish we commented more there. But oh, well. It's great for keeping track of books!

Google+ has been a little fun in recent months too, with communities and things. I like it there, but it does seem to be doing pretty much the same thing as Facebook and such. So I'm not sure what's happening there.

I've never understood Tumblr and haven't ever created one. I don't get SnapChat. Or Vine. But wonder about them sometimes.

What else is there?  Anyway, that's about all the things I know about! And that's about all I can handle dealing with for now!




13 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge YouTube fan either. Watching videos takes too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with you about visual media. At least all the social media now days can link up with each other. I'm not sure I could keep up with it all otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: And some I link and some I don't!

      Delete
  3. I'll admit that I have accounts and use Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Snapchat. I have a Facebook page for my website, but I do nothing on it. I also have a Google+ account that I also ignore. I love Twitter and Instagram. They are my two favorite online places for hanging out and talking with friends. Snapchat is fun too, and I like that I can take a crazy picture without having to worry about deleting it from my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle: Maybe I'll try Snapchat one of these days....

      Delete
  4. I definitely agree with your feelings on storytelling. Books, movies, tv shows, songs, scores, art, graphic novels, visual novels, all tell stories in and in different ways and it's just great. I love that there's such a big medium for storytelling.

    I joined Pinterest a while back and started using it for my blog as well. :) After creating my blog, I adjusted (changed) my Twitter username and that was that. It helped that I didn't have many followers back then so no one would be really freaked out about the change. Ha. Twitter's definitely my favorite.

    I have a Tumblr, but that was for my personal "blog" that I used to do. :) I haven't done anything with posting in a while it seems. I got too caught up in the book blogosphere apparently. Worst things could happen.

    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber: Pinterest is fun for all sorts of things! I do pin my reviews from my blog, but that's about it blogging-wise.

      Delete
  5. I agree with your thoughts on visual media. Everything tells a story and some stories hit others differently. :)

    I just hide the people who clutter up my feed in Facebook. And, I have groups for the others, so I can still see what they're up to every once in a while.

    And, vlogging terrifies me. I don't want to do it. And, I'm with Heather. It takes too long to watch a video. I'd much rather read something than hear someone ramble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: I need to hide some, or unfollow some. I don't know! And yeah, I never watch BookTube vlogs, but i will watch a Vlogbrothers or a Charlie Is So Cool Like vlog! :)

      Delete
  6. I agree with your thoughts on visual media too. The only reason I don't watch much TV or movies is because of the time. When I can find the time, it's just as much fun bingeing on a TV series as it is reading through a trilogy! I recently did that with season one of Agents of Shield - loved it!

    I do the same thing on Facebook - it's mostly IRL friends and blogger friends I know fairly well. I've been wanting to get more involved with Goodreads, too - first step is to start adding my current reads more consistently! Twitter is probably the social media platform I use the most - I love having bookish conversations on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to keep my blog social media separate from my personal took but it was often intertwined anyway, so I mainstreamed and use only one per platform. I just recently added G+ after avoiding it for a long while. I actually like the setup a lot. It may become a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My interactions are about the same as yours, although I'm starting to interact with bloggers more on facebook. It's nice, because I think it helps me start discussion more than just books with people :) I'd like to do more interacting on Pinterest and Goodreads, but it's hard to make time for everything!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails