Thursday, May 13, 2010

Suey's Top Tens: Childhood Favorites: Novels

Early this week Melissa from One Librarian's Book Reviews posted some of her favorite kid books, both those from the past and more recent ones. It made me think I should do another Top Ten list here! One of my first Top Ten lists was Childhood Favorites: Pictures Books (books from when I was a kid.) This list is similar, but will be novels that I loved as a kid (where kid here means elementary school age.)

Suey's Top Tens: Childhood Favorites: Novels

1. Follow My Leader by James B. Garfield
2. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
3. Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards
4. How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
5. Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O'dell
6. Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
7. Fifteen by Beverly Cleary
8. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
9. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
10. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner




Did you read any of these? What are some of your favorites from elementary school?

8 comments:

  1. You have a lot of good books on this list, but my favorite on it is FIFTEEN by Beverly Cleary. I'm not sure a lot of people remember it anymore, but I do. Really sweet. Really funny. Just perfect. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Follow My Leader as well and still have my copy.
    I also liked How to Eat Fried Worms and the Little House books.

    I would add some Gordon Korman, but he had probably only written This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall when I was still in elementary. I also read Why Me? about a girl with diabetes and My Mother Made Me! by Sharon Brian, about girls who run away because their mothers want them to play hockey. And Judy Blume books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the "Way-back-machine"!! I love it when I can go way back in my mind and remember what I loved when I was growing up!!
    1 - The Boxcar Children!! Yes, I adored it when the kids went to the dump to get their dishes!! Gertrude Warner made it sound romantic to be poor! Somehow it was so different when we were starving married students!
    2 - Castaways in Lilliput - a sort of kids version of Gulliver's Travels. I bought it when I was an adult and read it to my 5th graders.
    3 - Little House books too! Yahoo! Again, it sounded so incredible to be a pioneer. Boy, they were much more noble than me. I had trouble going to Girl Scout Camp!
    4 -Nancy Drew, the Secret of the Old Clock. I had my phase, yes indeed. I never read the Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Belden or the Hardy Boys, but Nancy, she was cool!
    5- Ray Bradbury Books - the Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine
    6 - The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (and the sequels!!) I was enchanted!!

    Boy, see what you started?? Thanks for the reminder of those books that have formed a part of me. Summer reading in the frontyard tree, reading under the covers at night, or spending an afternoon avoiding math homework!! Ahh... I think I still need some reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was obsessed with the Little House series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, Boxcar Children! I forgot all about that series.

    Let's see...I remember reading all the Ramona books. I can't remember many books I read at that age. Hmm...
    OH! I loved Matilda and Harriett the Spy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little House began a lifelong obsession.

    Of the teen Beverly Cleary novels, I read The Luckiest Girl which is really cute and funny. I also read Jean and Johnny, but am fuzzy on the details.

    My mom adored The Boxcar Children when she was a child, but I guess they were out-of-print or too hard to find when we were kids, so I've never read them. She did find a copy for my nephew a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a ton as a child and I don't even recognize some of these titles. Just goes to show how many wonderful books are out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you top tens. Wonderful idea. Visiting from the blog hop and congrats on the bingo posts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails