Saturday, August 3, 2013

Book Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Book: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating:
For: Fun
From: Received in the mail as a prize from Armchair BEA. Sweet!

What a cute fun story! And one that makes you sort of want to slow down and remember life how it used to be!

So our girl main character (Mallory) has just found out that her boyfriend has been having an online fling, one that looks like it could move offline any second if it hasn't already. This makes her very upset of course, so she dumps the guy.

Meanwhile, she is helping her dad clean out her grandma's stuff in preparation for a move, and she found a notebook where her grandma, as a junior in high school, wrote her goals for school that year. Mallory finds this extremely intriguing and decides that she has to have those very same goals for her own junior year. And somehow, she thinks, in doing this she might find herself and heal from the hurts she is having.

Besides all that, she has sworn of technology. No computer, cell phones, ipods, or digital anything.

It's an interesting ride for both her, her family AND the reader. We find that there's a lot more connecting going on between the people in her house, and she ends learning a lot about her grandma too (both then and now) since she has to consult with her quite a bit, not to mention have her help her sew a dress!

Anyway, it's cute, and there's a fun lesson learned, though not overly deep and/or preachy.

Bottom line: I really enjoyed it. Let's go back to the 60s, eh?

Other Reviews:

And though the story has an overarching theme — don’t let technology rule your life – it has a surprising moral, too: don’t wax poetic about the past. From Write Meg!

I recommend this one to anyone that loves contemporary romances with a bit of substance to them. From Buried in Books

I loved the relationship that Mallory had with her sister Ginnie, and also with her grandmother. It was refreshing to see two teen-aged sisters who really got and adored one another as opposed to the usual rivalry or indifference. From Linus's Blanket

This part of the book was absolutely charming and I'm officially adding Oliver Kimball to my list of YA Boys I Wish I'd Known In High School. Their relationship was just a perfect blend of adolescent awkwardness and the magic of first love. From YA Romantics

4 comments:

  1. This one has been on my list for awhile. Can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yay! I've been wanting to read this one for quite some time! It sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this sitting in front of me right now! Can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't get into this one, and I'm kinda sad about it. I love Lindsey Leavitt's stuff, and I wanted to like this one. Maybe I'll give it another go some day.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails