Monday, September 6, 2010

Review: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Book: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
Genre: YA Paranormal, bordering on Horror
Rating: B+
For: RIP V
From: ARC from publisher (to be released Sept. 21)

Here's on of those books that I read without any expectations at all! I love it when that happens!

This is the story of Mackie, who is the replacement. Whom did he replace? Well, .the real Mackie of course. So who is the Mackie we come to know and love in this book? And what happened to the real Mackie? Ah, well that's why you must read the book and find out!

This book is full of lots of creepy creatures and has a wonderful spooky Halloween feel to it. Perfect for RIP V reading! There's lots of sensual description especially the sense of smell. By the way, Mackie has some issues with the sense of smell. He also has some issues with anything made of iron and steel. It's a good thing his sister was always there to protect him, and now it's is turn to protect her.

I enjoyed this book for the most part. There were some so called "edgy" moments (language, make out sessions, etc.) The story was interesting and fairly unique, the writing was engaging. Sometimes the descriptions of what Mackie was feeling got a little overmuch, but not enough to really be bothersome.

Bottom line: I liked it a lot.

For more on author Brenna Yovanoff, here's her official website.

And here's a pretty good trailer, so I'm sharing:





Other reviews:

Wordbird
...and that's the only one I could find at the moment. Let me know if you have reviewed it so I can link!

4 comments:

  1. ahhh...you lucky person. You got an ARC. Well, I did not read your review in full because as you know...I want to read this book and have yet to do so. Once done reading the book, I will come back to see exactly what you thought. I was glad to see though that your bottom line is that you liked it a lot.

    Shall return to this post...before the end of October. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to this one. Sadly, I think the UK cover is much different :( That cover is beyond creepy, that's the one I want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been hoping to read this sinc ei first saw the creepy cover. Glad you like it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about the book itself but I really like the cover!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails