Thursday, November 19, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Posterity



Booking Through Thursday's question suggested by Barbara asks:

Do you think any current author is of the same caliber as Dickens, Austen, Bronte, or any of the classic authors? If so, who, and why do you think so? If not, why not? What books from this era might be read 100 years from now?


Definitely I think that there are current authors the same caliber as our favorite classics authors. I'm just not sure who they are yet! :)

Maybe Margaret Atwood? Toni Morrison? Robin McKinley? Perhaps Isabel Allende?

One hundred years from now I think we'll still be reading the Harry Potter series. And I bet The Book Thief will still be around. All of Stephen King's books will still be popular. I think The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series will turn into a major kid's classic. I also think we'll still be reading The Kite Runner, and A Fine Balance.

Gosh, I don't know! This is harder than it first appears. What are YOUR picks for future classic books and authors?

6 comments:

  1. Harry Potter is on my list too (even though I'm not a fan) as is Dan Brown. My full list is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabel Allende, I agree. Lee Smith would be on the list. Wallace Stegner, too.

    For children's work, Katherine Paterson, Laurie Halse Anderson, and Sid Fleischman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pussreboots: Oh, I totally forgot Dan Brown. I think his books will for sure still be around.

    Caroline: I totally agree with all your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely Margaret Atwood, agree! I'd pick at least one of Stephen King's--The Stand. He wasn't on my list though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is my list. It doesn't include Stephen Kind, although a LOT of other people mentioned him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry Potter, definitely. Suzanne Collins. But I have to disagree about the Wimpy Kid series. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I think it's just another version of Captain Underpants. It doesn't have the staying power of something like Beverly Cleary's books, which are still funny and touching today.

    I think people will keep reading Neil Gaiman, Roald Dahl, Douglas Adams, Louis Sacher, and Philip Pullman. Oh, and Diana Wynne Jones. Now I'm wondering why so many of my books juvenile and YA fantasy. . . I suppose kids never give up their childhood favorites, and try to pass them along to their own children.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails