Monday, February 18, 2008

Three Reviews


Book: The Story of My Life by Helen Keller
Genre: NF Autobiography
Rating: A

I've wanted to read this book forever it seems. Finally, I picked up the large print edition at the library and had it be my treadmill book this past week. I've always been fascinated by Helen Keller so I was excited to read her story. She wrote this when she was only 22 years old, so she still had tons more to her story, but in the short time she had lived up to this point, she made amazing observations about life. It's hard to believe she actually couldn't see or hear anything. Her description and grasp for the world around her is much better than us normal people. Her appreciation for the ability to read and the power of words is also very apparrent. Anyway, I loved it and am glad to have finally picked it up! Very inspirational.






Book: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Genre: Lit. Fiction
Rating: B


Whew! I made it through this one! I was beginning to wonder there about half way. But since this is for my book club this week, I had to push on through. Strange, strange little story. I can't say that I had much sympathing for our main character who shows in interesting way of staying true to his life's love. The other thing that bugged me was the lack of dialogue. It's interesting how much a bit of conversation can make a book flow and make you feel a little conneted to the characters. But anyhow, glad I made it through and can say, "I did it!"






Book: Touching Darkness (Midnighters book 2) by Scott Westerfeld
Genre: YA SF
Rating: B+


The second in this series about a group of kids for whom time stops for an hour at midnight. Strange and mysterious things happen then! I have to say I liked the first one better. This one wasn't near as faced-paced and there was a lot more history and background talked about, which made the story drag a little. But, there was also a lot of new and interesting twists, and I will continue on with the third, when I can get my hands on a copy. Oh, and find time too!

1 comment:

  1. Same here, I have always been fascinated by Helen Keller as well, should soon give the book a go as well. Good to hear it *is* interesting!

    Since we have Love in the time of cholera having its premiere in cinemas right now I wondered whether I should read the book. But the thing is, I haven't heard/read many positive reviews about it. So I'm still wondering ;-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails