Monday, April 18, 2022

Book Review: The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

Book: The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola  Yoon

Genre: Contemporary YA

Rating: ★ ★ ★ 


Here's another book that's been on my TBR for a long long time. I took it with me on my recent trip and read it while sitting on the beach. PERFECT!

I really do love this author's style. So very engaging and easy to read and totally so easy to love the characters. 

This one was about a kid who's about to head off to an interview that he does not want to deal with. He wants to do his own thing but his parents of course think otherwise. So he's begrudgingly off to get his hair cut (he has a ponytail... which I LOVE! Don't cut it off dude!) and then to the interview.

Meanwhile our girl, who is from Jamaica, is trying to talk to someone to figure out if she can stop her family from getting deported. She has a lead with a lawyer she thinks might actually help. She's out in the city (they are in New York I think, yes.) and feeling very frantic about her situation.

So their paths cross, and they have time to kill, so they hang out. And they learn about each other and fall instantly in love. But it's very complicated, so they know of course that nothing is going to come of it. But we as readers have hope that they might work it out somewhere. Our dude has hope too. Our girl is like, yeah, no. 

Lots of stuff happens in that day. And we get it from both their points of view, plus some views of some of the random people they come across in their travels. And also from people in their back stories. I thought it was a brilliant way to tell a story. So great!

So in the end, this author remains on my favorites list! If you haven't read her stuff yet, go for it!

4 comments:

  1. That's so nice you were able to read this on the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read a Nicola Yoon book! I'm glad you loved this, and you got to read it on a beautiful beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this and I want to watch the movie. I've heard such great things about both of them.

    I can't believe you actually read on the beach! Did you go in the water at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, i just sat on the beach bed in the shade with the wind and the ocean in my ears! It was great.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails