Thursday, April 16, 2020

Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Book: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
Genre: YA Fantasy 
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

This is this month's book club pick, which we will be discussing tonight through Zoom! Woot. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

It's a very intense fantasy about people with magic vs. people without. The people without happen to be the rulers of the kingdom and have suppressed and killed all those who have magic. But now, it appears that the children of these magic holders can bring magic back.

So we end up with a couple of sibling pairs, trying to first acquire the magical artifacts, then take them to the magic island before the solstice so the ritual can be performed and magic can be restored.

Of course they come across many many obstacles along the way. Very deadly ones. This is wow, a very violent story! Sometimes a bit over the top for me. But needless to say, those parts were very gripping and definitely had me engaged and turning pages!

The world building and magic system is quite cool. Some of it was a little.... magical.. for me. But still cool. I enjoyed our characters. I was hoping for a bit of romance thrown in, and was worried it wasn't going to actually happen, but then, there were a couple of chapters that was all about the romance. Nice. So I'm glad we had some of that thrown in amongst the crazy violence!

I know this starts another series. I don't know, I can't decide if I want to continue it or not. I need to be in a place where the intensity doesn't bother me as much. I need calmer quieter books right now and I keep reading not so calm books!






1 comment:

  1. I have had this on my TBR pile since before it came out, mainly because the author's name is the same as my son!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails