Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: Sapphique by Catherine Fisher

Book: Sapphique by Catherine Fisher
Genre: Dystopian
Rating: A-
For: Fun
From: purchased from Amazon

After reading Incarceron, I knew I wouldn't be waiting long to get to this one, the second book in what I think is just this pair of books. (You never know, she may decide to keep on going!)

Spoilers ahead for Incarceron!

This one started with Finn trying to get used to living Outside, and it not being quite cracked up to what he thought it would be. In fact, he is pretty sullen about everything because first, he doesn't really want to be a prince and second, his friends are still Inside. So his main objective is to figure out how to get to them, with Claudia and her tutor, Jared's, help.

Claudia, though she does want to help, wants more to turn Finn into the prince, whether he is or not, which is something that's quite up in the air. And also, she's a little concerned about father who has disappeared Inside.

Meanwhile, Attia and Keiro are running for their life back in Incarceron because the prison itself is fighting against them. Then underneath it all is the problem of Sapphique and what he, if anything, has to do with it all!

So, what did I think? While I still really enjoyed these characters and the setting, I didn't love it quite as much as the first one. Mostly because much of what was going on I didn't get, especially the whole thing about the prison trying to get a body. Yeah, I didn't get it. And I was disappointed that there was a little more (any actually) love story going on and weaved in and among all the stress these characters were having. I thought this book would have a little of that, but there was still really nothing. So that made me a little sad I suppose.

Still I think it's a fascinating tale, one where you really never know what's going on and things do not appear to be what they are.

Bottom line: I liked it a lot!

Other Reviews:

One Librarian's Book Reviews
The BookBind
Alison's Book Marks
Beyond Books

4 comments:

  1. I totally didn't read this review because you mentioned spoilers, but I totally want to read this book! Cannot wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No romance and the prison is more psycho? Great...not very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tif: I hope you enjoy them!

    Jenny: Still read it.. please? So I can know if you predicted it all right and what you REALLY think! (By the way, I'm hearing rumors about you! What's up?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really must read these books. I had the first one out from the library and even started it, but it was bad timing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails