Thursday, January 6, 2011

Character Connection: Finn from Incarceron


Okay, so one of my blogging goals is to write more Character Connections, which is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader, because I really really love doing them! But sometimes I can't think of who to be passionate about that week. This I shall overcome, because there's just tons of characters to be passionate about!

Anyway, I've been thinking all day and now I'm a little late blogging about it but I'd like to highlight Finn from Incarceron, a book I've been recently taken with.

I pictured Finn quite ragged looking. Very skinny, haggard, and completely thrashed. He is, after all, living in terrible conditions, in the worst prison conditions you can imagine. He's fighting for his life. He seems very trodden down.

Yet, he strong and brave, with ethics that are amazing given this rotten place in which he's living. He's also very confused, with lots of visions about a different place, either real or imagined. Some people revere him because of this, but he's just plain bugged and torn about it all.

I think this makes for a wonderful dynamic character, not just your normal "hot dude" (which I'm assuming he is and that he cleans up well given a chance!) but a guy with lots of sides to him and many many issues to work through.

I can't even remember how he is physically described, but I'm understanding that there's going to be a movie made soon, and that none other than Taylor Lautner will be playing him. As much as I enjoy this guy, I'm not sure he fits the idea I have of Finn. And it appears that many others are feeling the same way.

Have you read the book yet? Do you think Taylor would work as a Finn?

7 comments:

  1. I've never heard about this book nor seen Taylor act save for a few seconds when I was browsing through channels and came across Twilight. Hence, I can't say much except that it has often astounded how an actor we think would be imperfect for a role is so well groomed and coached for it that he fits perfectly! I hope it's the same with this movie, for the sakes of you and all those who love this book.:)

    Risa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, NO! Not Taylor. Too pretty boy. Too buff. Finn's more ragged than him, more edgy, more *prisoner*. ACK. Gag. Kill the book why don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I have a library book that needs read but then I'm definitely reading this one next. And i don't think Taylor should be in anything...sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, no...
    Taylor is likely being cast due to his connection to/draw of a particular audience, putting a name to the film. but surely they could have found someone else. where i might have mildly interested in seeing the film, now i am utterly repulsed.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you like the meme!

    I have a hard time coming up with a character sometimes too, but then I start browsing my shelves on GoodReads and someone will sooner or later start screaming, "Pick me! Pick me!"

    I own Incarceron but I haven't read it yet. But Taylor, fine as he might be, doesn't sound like what you've described here with Finn. Finn sounds very complex and I do tend to like those characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooohhhh, Finn is such a great pick!! I love the character and the name!! However, I must agree . . . not sure if Taylor is quite how I pictured him. I don't know how dirty and ragged he could really look and not sure if he could pull off Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. uhh i actually think Dylan O'Brien would suit Finn perfectly

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails